Raising the mast--C26

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
WayneL

Raising the mast--C26

Post by WayneL »

Can anyone tell us, or estimate, how much does the mast weigh and how long are the "optional" bridles? We can have them made. As the mast is erect and we have to lower it to get it home, we're a little nervous about the operation.

Wayne and Lynn
Rich

Post by Rich »

Check out http://www.chryslersailing.lizards.net/chryslersailing/ there you can see owners manuals for the Chrysler 26, pictures of other Chrysler 26's there are even some articles on repairs and tips.

This link here should take you directly to the page on raising the mast:
http://www.chryslersailing.lizards.net/ ... .html#Mast

I am hoping to one day find a good deal on a Chrysler 26 myself. I'd love to have one. Right now I've got a Chrysler 22. Chryslers are great boats, solid, good performance.
"Yeah, God's given us this beautiful day. Let His Spirit fill your soul like the wind in the sails!" -Walkin' on the Docks
WayneL

Post by WayneL »

Thanks for the reply and links, Rich. I read everything I could get my hands on before okay'ing the deal. My wife was all for it, as she fell in love. I was mildly in like and still am. Won't be sure until I hoist sail and check her out on Tues, my next day off. However, I surmised from about five hours reading, that those who have them love them.

I had my heart set on a Morgan 27, but I couldn't convince my wife to wait until we had the necessary scratch. Talk about a gorgeous boat! But, a little elbow grease and a little ching and we might be able to sell for what it would take. (Don't tell Lynn, she'd kill me dead.)

Let you know how she sails.
SteveS

bridles

Post by SteveS »

Neither boat I bought had the mast erection bridles, and I coundn't find an exact measurement. Finally I reasoned, the key is to place the pivot points for the guy lines to the mast and gin pole in line with the pivot point of the mast. I just bought a two lengths of chain I was sure was more than long enough, for the C22 I got 4 1/2 feet, and six quick links. I used one link to attach an end of the chain to the 23 slot in the toe rail (the boat manual explained which toe rail slots to use), pulled the chain tight back and up so I could put a quick link in chain link that lined up with the mast pivot point, then counted the links between quicklinks, and put a third quick link that many links from the middle quicklink. I then attached that quick link to the 32 slot in the toe rail. I just used the link count to make a matching bridle for the other side. My improvised bridles work great. Remember that if your bridle is slightly long, the guy lines will get tighter as the mast lowers. If the bridles are slightly short, the guy lines will get some slack as the mast comes down. If you are using rope with some stretch this is not a problem, if you use wire rope or something else that doesn't strectch, remember to allow a little slack in case your eye isn't calibrated any better than mine.
WayneL

Post by WayneL »

Now THAT's a sailor! A true sailor is one who can tame any problem with some creative thinking. Well done, mate.

Finally, a day off! I sell cars, so it's not easy to get free time. We're going to the boat today to work out a program of rigging. We'll train, today, and try out the boat this weekend. (Yeah, a weekend! A rare thing in the car business.) By Sunday evening, we'll know what we've got ourselves into. So anyone who cares to chime in and give advice, we'd be all ears.