Fixed vs. swing keel

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
SteveB

Fixed vs. swing keel

Post by SteveB »

We have the swing keel, but I'm wondering if there are any people out there who have had experiences with the fixed or both on the C22. The swing IMHO does a good job with sailing performance, but I've always been curious about the performance of the 1000lb fixed version. How about the trailering aspects?
choyado

Fixed keel

Post by choyado »

I have a 77 fixed keel that I bought about a year ago. I paid $900 dollars for it because it was missing the rudder and it had been sitting abandoned in a marina in san pedro for a few years, so you can imagine how much growth was on the bottom. I havent sailed it yet , Im still in the prosess of restoring it but I've heard they sail spectacularly.
Dustin Henderson

Fixed keel

Post by Dustin Henderson »

I havea fixed keel C-22. I leave it in the water but do have a trailor. When the boat is on the trailor I have to stand on the top step of a 6 foot ladder to still climb in kind of a hasle. I really leave it inthe water to avoid the rigging up and down. I also had to make a removeable tung extender in order to sink the boat far enough out in the water to get on and off. The fixed keel draws almost 4 ft. of water. Fixed keel can with stand rougher water, higher winds,and larger sail. I too bought mine missing the rudder blade, but I cut out the pattern from ply wood sealed it and fiberglassed it, hope it last. I imagine there are a few more set backs with the fixed keel but the sailing experience is worth it. I can hold at least a speed of 8knots with a 10-15 mph wind which is pretty close to my calculated hull speed. I have fun with it and have worked out all the bugs I just cant beach it like a swing keel.
Rich

Post by Rich »

OK, I want to know how you figured out your hull speed. I went to a page once that was supposed to figure out your hull speed, and I got a maximum hull speed of 6 knots....and that was cheeting, as I entered the Length over all of 22 feet, not the waterline length, which is less, 19 feet.

Now I know it can't be right, 6 knots, because I have gone that fast even against the tide, though it does bring up the question, is the Chrysler 22 a true displacement hull?

So how did you figure out hull speed?
"Yeah, God's given us this beautiful day. Let His Spirit fill your soul like the wind in the sails!" -Walkin' on the Docks
Dustin Henderson

Post by Dustin Henderson »

:oops: Iam embarresed now I cant find the formula but it involved the beam length as well as WL and sqrt. But this site explains well what to observe when you have reached your hull speed www.sanjuan28.org/hull_speed sorry Ill keep digging for that equation.
Wag4513

Post by Wag4513 »

This site calculates hull speed and other numbers.
http://www.image-ination.com/sailcalc.html
Jim Laurence
Chrysler C22
Dallas, Texas
choyado

speed

Post by choyado »

Dustin you cun realy hit 8 knots? I'm not saying you cant because I've never sailed mine I'm just curious. That would mean I could make it from longbeach to catalina island in less than 3 hours. that would be great! Also do you have any pictures you can send me of your boat on its trailer. I bought my boat without a trailer so I converted an old powerboat trailer to fit it. I've never launched or retrived it at a launch ramp because I think I made the bunks too high. I had a crane take my boat out of the water. I would also like some information about your tounge extention. I plan on getting mine ready to sail this summer.
Michael O'Brien

keel trailer

Post by Michael O'Brien »

Dear Choyado - I'm going to try and email a photo direct to you of a Catalina 22 fixed keel on a Trail-Rite trailer, which may give you some ideas. You're right, it does sit lower. I believe they are in So. Cal. so you might could check them out in person(714)556-4550.
By the way, when we first got our boat I figured the hull speed from a formula in a magazine, and it was 5.84. I haven't had time to check Wag's site. But as has been stated, actual speed will vary due to conditions. I've been told of Chrysler 22s running on a sustained plane in excess of 10 knots (maximum reading on the knot meter) with full main and lapper jib in a 20+ knot breeze.
choyado

Post by choyado »

Its kinda hard to make out what that picture is of but thanks anyway. Is your boat a fiked keel?