Repair, refurb, replace? CB wench

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
WayneL

Repair, refurb, replace? CB wench

Post by WayneL »

The wench for hauling up the centerboard on our C26 is rusty and looks to be pretty much at the end of its useful life. Has anyone replaced theirs? Advice would be helpful.
Rich

Post by Rich »

IF it's anything like the one on my 22 I'd see if I could just get it sandblasted and then primed. Mine has a built in clutch so you crank the keel up, crank the keel down, unlike the one I had on my Venture 17 which you crank up and for letting down it was a real knuckle knocker as you just released the lever and tried your best to either control it, or just let go and let her fly.
"Yeah, God's given us this beautiful day. Let His Spirit fill your soul like the wind in the sails!" -Walkin' on the Docks
SteveS

Winch sources

Post by SteveS »

My Chrysler 22 has a brake winch, so that there is no messing about with reversing levers and rachets. Just turn it one way to raise the keel, the other way to lower it. When looking for a replacement for my boat, I only found one shop that had brake winches meant for use in a marine environment and which were configured like the original. I'm sure there must be others, but here's the one I found.
Aqua Marine

You can buy generic brake winches from Northern Tool and Machine, they have an Amazon store:
Northern Tool

They're just zinc plated, so I wouldn't want to bet how long they'll stand up exposed to salt water.
gkimball

Post by gkimball »

What model of winch did you buy?

Can you describe how it is mounted rigged?

My boat has an electric winch that I want to remove.

Thanks!
hotdot

centerboard winch for c-26

Post by hotdot »

I replaced the centerboard winch on my '77 c-26 about two years ago. The exact replacement winch is fulton number K-1051 (or kx) it fits the bracket holes perfect and required no modifications. <www.fultonperformance.com/products.php? ... ubgroup=80>
Northern tool has it for 62.99 last I checked.
gkimball

Post by gkimball »

Thank you for the reply! It will be most helpful as I try to un-do what a previous owner did!