water in cabin sole

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
javelin

water in cabin sole

Post by javelin »

This has happened whenever I am really healed over. After docking, the carpet on both sides of the keel shoe is wet. Someone once told me he never saw a drop keel that DIDN'T leak a little. I can't find where this water comes from. The keel cable does have a hose on it and I thought that is suppose to stop this problem. It is not serious but rather annoying and again only happens when I am really booting it. Any ideas and does this happen to you ?
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

If it is a C-22,starboard side valvecock? Mine was stuck open and water would run in under the cushions to the back then end up in the middle. I thought for the longest time it was the rudder post until while on port tack my son happened to lift the cushion and see water backing up out of the sink drain.
javelin

Post by javelin »

Sorry, I have 26 and my old 22 use to do the same thing. No valves are open but thanks anyway.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

If it is wet carpet at the rear of the trunk it could be that tube. EE has a custom made stopper there - a synthetic cork from a wine bottle with a hole just big enough for the cable.

Its also possible that if the keel has ever slammed to the full down position that you have a leak from a keel trunk crack near the cable.
javelin

Post by javelin »

I will try the cork idea. Sounds the easiest and certainly the cheapest idea. Thanks a bunch ! Russell
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

You're welcome, and EE's crew recommends the synthetic cork from a Barefoot Chardonnay. About $8.00
CraigWik

wet carpet at bottom of stairs

Post by CraigWik »

Does anyone have a sketch of the cork to fix the problem with water coming out of the tube in the keel trunk? I've just had my C26 for a week and ran into the problem with wet carpet at the bottom of the stairs today. I want to make sure I understand before heading back to the marina in a few days. Thanks,
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: wet carpet at bottom of stairs

Post by EmergencyExit »

CraigWik wrote:Does anyone have a sketch of the cork to fix the problem with water coming out of the tube in the keel trunk? I've just had my C26 for a week and ran into the problem with wet carpet at the bottom of the stairs today. I want to make sure I understand before heading back to the marina in a few days. Thanks,
There's a sketchy drawing at
http://chryslersailing.lizards.net/imag ... page07.jpg

basically there's just a cork at the top of the tube the winch cable goes thru. Hole in the cork for the cable to pass thru.
It doesnt take much water in that small bilge under the steps tp get the carpet wet..example here
http://pwp.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep ... 281315&ck=
CraigWik

Post by CraigWik »

Thanks!

The pictures and sketch are very helpful. I don't think I have any significant water in the bilge, because when I turned on the bilge pump and could hear it running, nothing came out.
If I understand this correctly, the bottom end of the tubing must be clamped to the through-hull fitting, though they're not shown touching in the Chrysler sketch. And then motion of the boat causes water to squirt up through the tubing. I should have looked at it carefully when we were sailing yesterday. Does anything (like part of the table?) need to be removed in order to access the top of the tubing and place the cork?
Thanks, Craig
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Easiest way is to remove the panel of wood on the back end of the table, should have a two vertical sets of several screws.
windnutlarry

Water in cabin sole

Post by windnutlarry »

Just a thought, but when you are well heeled that cast iron keel is extended out at a 20-25 deg angle, which would put a LOT of torque on the pivot pin and bracket. In addition the keel pendant, which would normally support half the weight, would not be helping much. Are you getting water under the forward dinette seat?
CraigWik

Post by CraigWik »

I didn't notice any water under the forward dinette seat.