LS-13 Bilgeboards

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
mdenson50

LS-13 Bilgeboards

Post by mdenson50 »

Greetings to everyone, I'm a newbie on this forum and although I've tried to find previous postings about my topic, I'm not finding specifically what I'm looking for.

I recently purchased a 1968 LS-13 in fair shape (I'm going to have fun fixing her up) and have learned a lot from other postings, but I think I'm having a problem:

The bilgeboards go down regardless of the state of the levers inside the boat. I believe that is a problem, right?

Second if that is indeed an issue, what alternative do I have to fix the issue?

Thanks everyone!
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome to the forum!!

Hang tight, some one here will get you an answer!!

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

You should be able to lock those in any position between up and down if I read the manual right - depending on point of sail.

If you didn't find it already have a look here.

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/ ... anual.html

Sorry I can't be of more help
shenry11

Post by shenry11 »

I have a 1971 LS-13. I don't know how much help I can be, but I can always take pictures, or help if I am directed. I have owned my boat for about a year, and have only had it out sailing about 5-6 times. I think that you are talking about the dagger boards? Mine will stay up, almost. They tend to "settle down" a little when trailered. As a result, we have to watch carefully to make sure that they are all the way up, or it get stuck on the trailer when launching. I am such a rookie sailer that the dagger boards are either "up", or "down", but nothing in between. Frankly, I don't know if it will hold an inbetween position or not, but am willing to look and experiment with that. Let me know what pictures might help you get started. I can either e-mail you pictures, or you can show me how to upload to this board.

Steve Henry
mikepaddle

Bilge Boards

Post by mikepaddle »

Many years ago, I had a LS-13. I now have a 1960 LS-16 that is being restored. To the best of my memory, the bilge board systems are very similar. If so, you should have two screws on either side of the handle base to adjust tension. You might try tightening them and see what happens.

I would guess that your plastic gaskets are brittle and the rubber o-ring on the shaft is close to being deteriorated. Failure of each of these items will cause loss of friction and leaks. I was unable to find any gasket replacements and ended up making a few sets for posterity. The existing gasket and plate were traced from the remaining remnants and I found workable o-rings at a plumbing supply. The plastic used was pretty well matched in thickness and texture by a local Dallas plastics supply shop.

Between my jigsaw and Dremil tool, the gaskets worked just fine. Both boards stay down AND no more leaks. BTW, while on the trailer, I tie a rope around one bilge board handle, run the rope up to and around a cleat up on my bow deck, and back to the other handle. This little bit of tension keeps the bilge boards up in their wells while trailering.

I am not sure how to download photos to this site. If you would like to see photos of my "custom" parts and the tension screws that I mentioned, just send me a PM with your direct email address.

Mike[/img]
mdenson50

Post by mdenson50 »

Thanks to everyone that posted. As I read the instructions, the bilge boards (or dagger boards) are supposed to be able to go up or down based on the position of the levers. (see the sailing guide for the LS-13). I believe that mikepaddle is correct in that I either need to adjust the tension and if that doesn't work, new gaskets and/or o-ring. I have just started restoring having done some of the easy work and am going to attempt the hard stuff shortly.

The previous owner had placed a piece of carpet over the boards inside the hull which prevented him from seeing the amount of water that was collecting. Unfortunately this caused a lot of rot on the wood and some peripheral damage to the fiberglass. To the best of my knowledge, the hull does not have any damage so that's good news.

One other sort of related question, what kind of paint should I be looking for to paint the outside of the hull? And is the process for lifting it off the trailer good enough for painting or should I attempt to flip the boat (not looking forward to that if that is the answer!).
Dented

Post by Dented »

I recently picked up an LS-13 also and am in the process of repairing it.
I was wondering if anyone can tell me the length of the tiller as mine is missing. Have the hardware but no tiller. I plan on making one but do not know the length.Thanks
LS-13
mdenson50

Pictures ...

Post by mdenson50 »

Thanks, shenry 11. Do you happen to have pictures of the dagger boards themselves? I'm a bit fuzzy as to how they attach to the levers. If (based on pictures I've seen of the levers and hardware) the square peg of the levers engage a square hole on the dagger boards and the dagger boards are still falling, I am afraid that the square hole on the dagger board is compromised. If so, what should I do? Anyone have any ideas?
shenry11

Post by shenry11 »

Sorry for not getting back more quickly. Pulling 11-12 hour days at work lately. I plan to have the boat out fishing tomorrow night, and if I can't get pictures then, for sure, I will get some for you on Saturday. Thanks for your patience. Then, I'll only need to figure out how to upload them!

Steve
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Steve, you can email me the pics if you need to, I'll be glad to post them if needed.

Beau
fuseitinthesun

bilgeboards

Post by fuseitinthesun »

I paid a couple hundred to have the square pegs on the cranks and the square holes on the bilgeboards professionally re-machined by an aluminum welder. he filled in the holes with weld and then filed them down so they were square again. It's worked so far...