Problem with swing keel on c 26

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
dave stitz

Problem with swing keel on c 26

Post by dave stitz »

Was sailing the other day and came across a large rock near a channel wall. Fortunately, it was down far enough that it swung the keel up only a few inches. The problem I have is the keel will not crank up and the previous owners who sold me the boat this past winter did not have an owners manual. Any help would be appreciated.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

You can find a manual at:

http://chryslersailing.lizards.net/

but it will likely not tell you anything about the swing keel...

bl
dave stitz

Post by dave stitz »

Thanks for the reply. I will give it a try. A friend of mine has a catalina 22, and I goofed around on the net and found a good owners manual for that model which showed the swing keel mechanism. I know they are not the same but gives me an idea how one works. Also, thought about a possibility that when the keel swung back to original position, could it have locked? Thanks again for the reply.
Rich

Post by Rich »

I have a Chrysler 22, and for a while, I had a problem with my keel not lowering. It turned out there was a lot of stuff in the keel well, mussles and such, and all that garbage was binding the keel. Could be you have something crammed in there.
"Yeah, God's given us this beautiful day. Let His Spirit fill your soul like the wind in the sails!" -Walkin' on the Docks
dave stitz

problem solved

Post by dave stitz »

Is this a great web site or what. With the responses I got and different web addresses provided on this site, I got manuals and ideas for my problem of the swing keel. Last weekend I went under the boat and found no physical damage. I did notice a bunch of "gunk". Next I wiggled the keel side to side then was able to start to move it into the upright position. I think the bushing was worn enough that it was wedged it enough for it not to move. thanks.