Okay, so I'm obsessed <LOL>

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Okay, so I'm obsessed <LOL>

Post by EmergencyExit »

Taken July 8th, just outside the breakers at Fort Morgan, Alabama..
rubber raft and shower curtain liner
from the local dollar store,
PVC stuff and line from the Home Depot..
actually scooted along fairly well...

Last edited by EmergencyExit on Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Brings to mind a song......

I'm a little acorn brown, laying on the cold cold ground.
Everybody steps on me, that is why I'm cracked you see.
I'm a nutt, I'm a nutt, I'm a N U T T nutt!

:lol:

Some people just have too much time on their hands :)
"Yeah, God's given us this beautiful day. Let His Spirit fill your soul like the wind in the sails!" -Walkin' on the Docks
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Selah,

Isa 33:23....<LOL>
Rich

Post by Rich »

What a great verse! HA! I love it.

My favorite sailing verses that reference sailing are :

(this one quite loosely references sailing, as it mentions the Spirit of God, which sometimes is referred to as being like the wind, and water, two of the needed elements, the third being a sail boat of course ;-)

Genesis 1:2b The Spirit of God was moving over the face of the waters.

Isaiah 43:2a When you pass through the waters I will be with you;
"Yeah, God's given us this beautiful day. Let His Spirit fill your soul like the wind in the sails!" -Walkin' on the Docks
edjeep

Post by edjeep »

James 3:4-5 "Behold also the ships, which though so great, and driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth. Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!"

This verse just reminds me that a balanced helm in life, or at sail makes control a much more bearable process.

Ed
bernina27

Post by bernina27 »

How did you mount the mast?
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

This should show it..basically a piece of 1 1/4" PVC pipe thru the oarlocks with a tee in it, another tee for the boom. In between those a male and a female threaded coupling screwed on a few turns so it could tighten or loosen allowing the boom to swing..mainsail could have big a bit bigger if I had lowered the boom some, was worried about headroom, but it balanced fairly well as was so maybe that would have been a detriment. Rudder is a bent plastic oar tied on with running hitches..

Last edited by EmergencyExit on Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
nzhub

Post by nzhub »

New to this website, checking out the old posts...enjoyed this one...great scriptures.
Just brought a new C22!
Who has gone up to heaven and come down? Whose hands have gathered up the wind? Who has wrapped up the waters in a cloak? Who has established all the ends of the earth?
What is his name, and what is the name of his son? Surely you know! Proverbs 30:4
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Nzhub

New Zealand is not just around the block... it would be nice to know just how one of our beloved Chryslers made it that far. Welcome to the forum photos of your prize and where you sail are always welcomed.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

A C-22 in New Zealand? Wow! Somebody made a Trans-Pac? From everything I've read, not likely. Or VERY daring. There has to be a story there. Even if it's just a container and shipped, think about it. Somebody from one of the greatest sailing countries in the world was impressed enough with our little C-22's to have one shipped halfway around the world, quite literally.
Iron Mike - Semper Fidelis
Jack of all trades, Master of none
1978 C-22: Believer
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Hey, the pics of my fine sailing craft are gone, I'll have to find the originals and repost them - these were hosted on an ISP long long gone..
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Found them and reposted - going to that same place this August, I just may try that again, lol..it was quite the talk along the beach, guys kept trying to buy it from me..
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Your photos of Emergency Exit's little sister go hand in hand with the old adage... ingenuity is indeed the mother of invention. 8)

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Well since the old thread was dug up I'll tell the story behind it.

Redhead and I were on the coast vacationing and she was going shopping. I said I was too, going looking for a boat. She said well I'm budgeting $40 for my antique trip so here's 2 twenty's for you too...go find a sailboat for that and you can have it..

That little jewel totalled $38 and took me so far laterally down the beach the first time I sailed it that I lost sight of the house and had a hard time finding it again. No keel and with the wind coming on shore you could really only reach along the shore just outside the breakers but it sure was a fine ride for $38, 8)

And yes I was called a smarta$$ when I did it...
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Still an awesome story!

I just love it!

Scott
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Too funny! :lol:
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Red Green would be proud :wink:
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Capt. Bondo wrote:Red Green would be proud :wink:
Well, now that you mention it there now, Capt. the sails were attached to the mast boom and forestay by duct tape..wonder if this year I could add the Possum Lodge crest to the main, lol..
Rivercruiser
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Rivercruiser »

hp18carr wrote:Nzhub

New Zealand is not just around the block... it would be nice to know just how one of our beloved Chryslers made it that far. Welcome to the forum photos of your prize and where you sail are always welcomed.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
:?: How did that C 22 get to New Zealand? And tell us about the tender in the background.

Thanks.
C-26
Hunter 29.5
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Two excellent stories going here,

One Possum Lodge Sailing Yacht and a C-22 on the other side of the equator and the other side of the world.

First off the Possum Lodge Sailing Yacht was inspired. It should have been on the cover of Popular Mechanics that month. This year you should crack that keel issue EE you had on the prototype last time. I can't wait for the solution for that one. Maybe the other ore blade duck taped to the bottom a little forward of center.

A C-22 in New Zealand, and the owner is on our forum, Sweet:!:

Now he may not be able to tell the story of how the boat got to New Zealand. I can't tell you the story of my boat back more then the last 2 owners and the 2nd to last owner, I can only tell you about his first sailing adventure and where the boat was stored before the last owner had it. We may have to make up a good story ourselves. :wink:

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
John K

Post by John K »

That yellow hull looks really nice.
1977 C22: Dog House
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

I would rather be out sailing that plastic classic than sanding my project !
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Hear, hear! I'm with Billy!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
nzhub

classic

Post by nzhub »

So much to say so little patience to type....

I have had so many laughs reading this revived post.
I initially did not see that amazing rubber sailboat invention-that is outstanding ingenuity. (awesome stuff EmergencyExit glad you reposted them)
Showed my wife she had a good laugh and she told me that she should have given me a $40 budget.

For those interested on how the c22 got to NZ. Sorry to disappoint, I actually do not know. I will ask the former owner and see if I can find out something about her history. It is true; I can only trace back to the last two owners. I too think this is really interesting and want to find out.

Rivercruiser:
The little tender in the background is not mine, the picture was taken from the local Yacht Club.
I have just moved her over to its new home today. She has a little 8hp inboard and we cruised across the harbor today and drove the trailer around on the back of a car trailer. It was a fun trip, beautiful winter's day. I will be posting some pics of my projects to come on her.

John K:
Thanks, the hulls just been painted. Still working out a suitable name for her.

Really enjoying reading the posts-sounds sad, but I am currently on vacation and am even going back and reading old posts of interest like this one-I hope users don't mind me reviving some of the old posts.
Who has gone up to heaven and come down? Whose hands have gathered up the wind? Who has wrapped up the waters in a cloak? Who has established all the ends of the earth?
What is his name, and what is the name of his son? Surely you know! Proverbs 30:4
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

This was my first boat, must have been 50 years ago in the protected waters of our above ground pool. Notice the early SunBrella.
Image[/url]

Welcome nzhub
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

So is that a ketch or Yawl???

I can never remember that two masted stuff... Like the Flag :D
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Don't have a picture of my first rig. A dingy with an electric trawling motor. I did get about a 10 mile trip out of it one time. Looking back that battery did a real good job though it was next to flat when I landed. Guess I was thinking power boat instead of sailboat. Clearly Sauerleigh you were more evolved at that age than I was. :wink:

I love the Bimini and did not notice the Stars and Strips till Billy pointed it out.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

I also remember my attempt at a submersible. A cardboard drum, just large enough for me to sit in. I wasn't heavy enough to make the thing sink to the rim so my friend started handing bricks for ballast. Well we managed to bring the water line down to the rim and just about then the bottom gave out, bricks in the pool, my dad was not impressed with our creativity. Luckily the pool was only four feet deep. No pics of that fine craft.
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

My first sailing experience was a little "different". My family were avid watchers of ABC's Wide World of Sports. My best friend and I were fanatical speed skaters. We were skating on Otsego Lake (in NY) one day and the wind started to really kick up. Don't remember which one of us opened our coat first but it wasn't long before we were "sailing" across the northern end of the lake, probably a mile across or so. Then we had to skate back to the start. We didn't know about tacking.
Iron Mike - Semper Fidelis
Jack of all trades, Master of none
1978 C-22: Believer
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

nzhub wrote:New to this website, checking out the old posts...enjoyed this one...great scriptures.
Just brought a new C22!
Welcome aboard!
Absolutely revive old posts! That is why they exist! Some are really good!
WOW! I do really like that white bottom with a yellow hull! Looks really nice in the photos! I'm guessing you are the most distant Chrysler sailor we have! It would be very interesting to know how your C22 made it to NZ! Great place to have it though!!

Scott