wheel steering

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
javelin

wheel steering

Post by javelin »

I have seen some 26ers with wheel steering but none with an outboard. Question: if I should get wheel steering, do I have to give up my outboard ? The reason I ask is many of our yacht club members wait weeks and weeks for parts for their inboards, while if I have a mechanical problem, I just take the Mercury Outboard to the dealer. Also does anyone know a source for used wheel steering systems and are they impossibly difficult for the novice to install ? Russell on Javelin
Windward

Post by Windward »

Russell,

No problem using an outboard with wheel steering. If a local guy and NYCSailor both decide against it, I'll drop you a line. I'll be gone sailing (and getting back and forth, etc) Oct 8-26, so likely after that.

Installation shouldn't be that tough, based on how easy it was to remove. There are some Edson directions available for download somewhere, IIRC.
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Yes you can get the wheel system from Edson marine
http://www.edsonmarine.com I have one on my 1980 C-26
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
sailbob

Post by sailbob »

"CRYSTA" Has an Edson steering system and a 9.9 HP Bigfoot Mercury outboard. They work well together and I am extremley pleased with the set-up. System is cable running through pulleys to a steering quadrant attached to the rudder post. Looks pretty simple to install if you have instructions.
javelin

Post by javelin »

thanks for the advice, guys. I talked to edson and they have a specifc system for the 26 for about $2600 US.
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

jeff,

pm sent...
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343