Mondays 10/05/2009 Question and boating safety Tip ANSWERED

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mondays 10/05/2009 Question and boating safety Tip ANSWERED

Post by CaptainScott »

Saftey Tip
Deck shoes. What do you wear? Flip Flops? Thongs? ( OK, I probably do not want to hear about your THONG! ) Barefoot? Sneakers?

You've probably heard the old saying "Use the right tool for the right job"?

Some of you know I'm an avid motorcycle rider. One day, in a hurry, I slipped on my tennis shoes instead of my riding boots. Yup dang near dropped my bike at a stop light. I knew instantly what I had done and why however it was ALMOST to late! Wrong shoes for the job at hand. Dropping 750lbs would have been less than a pretty site in traffic! What a site I must have been . . . LOL!

But I digress . . . back to the tip.
A decent set of deck shoes can save your skin. Literally and figuratively. If you wonder barefoot around on deck it feels fabulous! however when you slip ( notice I did not say if ) you may stub a toe, loose some skin, or worse go overboard! regular tennis shoes are OK on deck however no where near as nice as decent deck shoes! A great pair of deck shoes may suck for long walks but they do indeed stick to the deck in wet and rough conditions! Crawling around on a C22 in 25Kts of wind is tough at best. A good pair of deck shoes will give you much better foot grip onthe deck and just may save your skin!!

No, I did not mention any particular brand name but I'll happily share what I wear privately via IM or email.

Question for today

Simple multiple choice today:
Which of the following do NOT appear in the list of distress signals for Inland OR international rules?
A:a signal consisting of a square flag having above or below it a ball or anything resembling a ball;
B: A high intensity yellow light flashing at regular intervals from 10 to 30 times per minute.
C:Flames on the vessel (as from a burning tar barrel, oil barrel, etc.);
D:A gun or other explosive signal fired at intervals of about a minute;
Last edited by CaptainScott on Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

I'm going to go with C. That whole open flame things on that scale I think would cause a need for rescue. :shock:

Besides I think I've seen all the other 3 on the destress rules somewhere. :oops:
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I would agree I would say c even if I am wrong but if I see Flames on a boat
I will head that way to retrieve survivore or enjoy the BBQ.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

ANSWER:

The answer here is B.

B: A high intensity yellow light flashing at regular intervals from 10 to 30 times per minute.

This is NOT listed in either inland or international rules as a valid distress signal. In fact it is not a distress signal at all. I simply made it up.

However answers A, C, and D are all specifically listed as distress signals!
So next time you see a Chrysler 26 with a barrel of tar on fire on the deck you CAN assume they are in trouble!!!!
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Well shiver me timbers, I suppose nothing says come help me like a 55 gal drum with big flames and smoking shooting out of it to get one attention on a 22 foot Sailboat. :shock:
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

In the mid-west, A high intensity yellow light flashing at regular intervals, means road construction and it's going to take longer to get to the lake to go sailing :(
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place