Electronics

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Mario G

Electronics

Post by Mario G »

I want to add an electronic set-up to my boat but which one? I'm not sure if I should go with a fish finder or just a gps?

I want to know where I'm at and how slow I'm going. and yes cost is a factor so I don't need the latest gaget. (Your talking to the guy that wishes thay made a dial cell phone)
mariner

Post by mariner »

I think there was a great article on this in a past issue of good old boat, I'll see if I can find it - found it, pm me if you want it.
Last edited by mariner on Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

It really depends on what information you want.

I added a West Marine fish finder to Lady Jo. I believe it was 89 bucks on sale. Very cheap and way more than I need. All I want is the depth under my keel. The showing of the bottom as it rises is nice so you can tell if it is getting deeper or shallower but you should already know that because you looked at charts for the area you sail in . . . . . ( soapbox, sorry )

For speed readings, I have a knot meter that sometimes works, sometimes not. I prefer my hand held GPS. Since I do not race, I do not care if I'm making 3 knts through the water. I do care that I'm making 3 knts towards my destination. Speed over ground is my concern in most cases. Only time I need to know speed through water is when I see Alan and Honu out there! I want to chase him you know . . . . :twisted:

Scott
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

My plan for electronics is:

Laptop with a GPS "mouse", Sea Clear II and all the NOAA charts. Free software, free charts, and a big screen. Not waterproof so this will be cabin use only.

For the cockpit I might go with an Eagle Cuda 350 S/map. Fishfinder and GPS for $200 is hard to beat. And the depth transducer should be capable of shooting through the hull.

I was thinking about sending my old Moore Knot/Depth meter in for service, but I think the money is better spent on newer technology. Now I just need to decide what to do about the old thru-hulls and the hole in the cabin bulkhead.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
Gus

Post by Gus »

I'm extremly happy with:

Garmin 172C Chartplotter with a 256MB chip with all the charts for the east coast. I mounted it inside the cabin on a piece of oak that I clamp to the table.

Garmin eTrex handheld GPS.

Raymarine ST-2000 Tiller Pilot.

I have a very good Uniden handheld radio.

I had a fish-finder installed, but it was useless, so I removed it.

If you are upgrading electronics, don't forget to upgrade your electric panel, you don't want your boat wiring to look like mine!!

Gus
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
Windward

Post by Windward »

I use a laptop w/ either SeaClear or Maptech's Chart Navigator for planning, and have tied my eTrex in for real time position display. Problem is, the laptop draws up to 8 amps and thus presents an unreasonable load if I use it for actual navigation. I've not measured the actual draw from the laptop, and if I start with a fully charged laptop battery it may be lower.

Average Group 27 battery is maybe 95-100 amp hours; I don't like to discharge beyond 40%-50%, so the usable capacity if the battery starts at full charge is around 50 amp hours (unless I'm leaving a marina where I was plugged up to shorepower, I'm unlikely to have a full charge to begin with). Running the laptop for 6 hours would draw up to 48 amp hours, and I'm done even if the fish finder, VHF, tiller pilot, lights and stereo are off.

The Tohatsu 9.8 outboard has a rated alternator output of 6 amps, so even motoring I'd be hard pressed to break even, and I'd not be recharging my house batteries.

You could pick up a Garmin eTrex Legend for a bit over $100; it includes simple mapping, and the latest one has the high sensitivity SIRF chip. SeaClear makes a killer planning tool, and you could lay in routes / waypoints and then download to the Legend for actual nav. I always carry paper charts anyway, and the Legend/paper combo worked well for me for several years, at minimal cost.
Windward

Post by Windward »

Lost track of the actual question...

Some form of depth sounder is important, especially if you sail where the water gets thin. If you have a compass and don't get out of sight of land, a GPS is still really useful (easiest to install knotmeter around) but optional.
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

Is there an app for water depth? a loptop that did everything would be ideal and come in a floatable/waterproof case.

I see some of these all in one units going for crazy money I'm almost ready to set a up a fishing pole with a sinker and call it a depth gauge.
When you start out pick a star right above you and one in the direction your going... they won't move far and if you have the charts/maps you can get real close. Learn that in the Boy Scouts

I was hopeing not to spend twice what I have in the boat for a gaget that might get tossed overboard.

I guess I will sail out the rest of the season and see what I can set up.

Thanks for the article Mariner its very helpful.

I now have a solar panel that I will be fitting to the boat this weekend , I'm thinking a lexon/teak cover so I don't step on it playing deck monkey.
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Garmon makes a couple B & W units that float the GPS72 and 76 that have gotten my attention.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=161

Does anyone have any comments on these units?
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

I had a GPS 76 for a long time and loved it.
I have however since gone to Garmin Color screens. Much easier on my over 40 eyes! LOL!

Scott