What is this thing?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
gregcrawford

What is this thing?

Post by gregcrawford »

Hi all:

In looking at my new (to me) 1976 C22, I see the keel pivot assembly in the storage space under the dinette. It has all kinds of goop on it, and also on the other side under the rubber plug, so I have to assume it is probably leaking.
But my question is: What is the 3/4" pipe flange, nipple, and cap just above and aft of the keel pivot? I have the original manual for the boat, and I didn't see this thing mentioned.

Thank you,
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN

1976 Chrysler 22 "Blues Image"

http://bluesimage.blogspot.com/
FranS

Post by FranS »

I beleive its a brake or stop for the keel to keep it locked down when fully deployed. We don't have one either, but that's what I've heard here on this board.
gregcrawford

Post by gregcrawford »

Thank you for the quick reply. I don't know how it would work, really. I will have to spray it with some PB Blaster and unscrew the pipe cap to see what is in there.
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN

Gus

Post by Gus »

There's supposed to be a piece of nylon rod (I think) to keep the keel from banging in the keel trunk when fully down.
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
mga1951

Post by mga1951 »

Greg,
First welcome aboard. You say you got your C-22 from Mid ohio?
Where exactly? I am from the Cols area and sailing w/ my C-22 for the last 3 years. Just curious? Havent seen many around!
The piece you are asking about is the snubber. Fran is correct. It is basically a bumper for the keel.
We re-did our keel pins this past spring and an ole timer w/ lots of sailboat exp. said to take it out we dont need it. Do not have one anymore.

Best of luck w/ your new boat.
Jeffrey
Fore Sail
1976 C-22
tnc110

Post by tnc110 »

I wouldnt touch it!!!! chances are that pipe fitting is well corroded, and is going to require a lot of torque to break it free...you might end up breaking something...including the seal. The "goop" is normal and is more than likely 5200 marine sealant. The more the better.

I disagree with the sailboat expert mga1951 is referring to. I had to do the keel pin replacement on my boat this summer. I took out the piece you are questioning and found the plywood core to be rotting so I glassed over the hole and did away with the piece...BIG MISTAKE!!!! Now my keel slaps around...it makes a very uncomfortable sound.
mariner

Post by mariner »

My Gran Pappy used to say "if it ain't broke don't go fixin it!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
gregcrawford

Post by gregcrawford »

Thanks for the information. I bought the boat from a gentleman in Anna, Ohio. He had owned a Chrysler 20 previously, and had just bought a Catalina 25. He had both boats in the driveway when I went up there. He said it was a great boat and sailed wonderfully and he was going to miss it. He stood at the end of his driveway and watched until we drove out of sight...
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN

Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

The guy I got my C22 from was almost in tears as I drive away :roll:
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Okay, you said you have the Original Manual for the boat??????? 1976 C-22, SCORE! :shock:

Do you have a scanner? Can you scan the whole thing and post it, pretty please with a halyard on top. We all collect this data. We like PDF, jpg, etc.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Welcome Greg!

I have a '76 also,, cool! When I redid my keel pin I put in UHMW shims to keep the keel from banging around like tnc110 refers. The piece you ask about did that originally and yes it can get all corroded and leak, mine did. So I'm all for pulling it out and sealing it up.. you should consider dropping the keel and checking your keel pin and brackets anyway,, there are stories on this forum of leaks and keels falling off from bad pins and brackets.

It's a PIA job but worth doing for the piece of mind...

Billy
gregcrawford

Post by gregcrawford »

Thanks guys.

You've got my curiosity up now. I will try some PB Blaster and soak this pipe cap to get it off. I want to know if there still is a nylon rod in there! If not, I can put one in there.

I have read enough to know the keel can cause some serious damage if the cable breaks, so I am replacing the cable and plan to drop the keel and check the pivot assembly. If necessary, I am prepared to fabricate a new stainless pivot assembly.

I will scan the manual and a cool review from Trailer Sailor and make them available, hopefully this week, work permitting.
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN

EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Greg, if you want/need to feel free to email me your scans, and I'll host them on EE's webspace where all can get to them.
gregcrawford

Post by gregcrawford »

That would be great. I will try to get that done in the next day or so.
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN

Gus

Post by Gus »

gregcrawford wrote:Thanks guys.

You've got my curiosity up now. I will try some PB Blaster and soak this pipe cap to get it off. I want to know if there still is a nylon rod in there! If not, I can put one in there.

I have read enough to know the keel can cause some serious damage if the cable breaks, so I am replacing the cable and plan to drop the keel and check the pivot assembly. If necessary, I am prepared to fabricate a new stainless pivot assembly.

I will scan the manual and a cool review from Trailer Sailor and make them available, hopefully this week, work permitting.
Did you steal my boat?? (No, wait, mine still sitting in the driveway) My boat came with the original manual, and among other things, a Trailer Sailor review printed out with notes the original owner wrote, what a coincidence!

Gus
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595