What is this through hull for?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
gregcrawford

What is this through hull for?

Post by gregcrawford »

Sorry to ask so many questions, but how else can you find out? On my 1976 C22, there is a through hull with a cap screwed over it on the cabin sole in front of the mast compression post a little towards the port side. There is no valve. Is this for a marine head? If so, did anyone's boat come with one?
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN

1976 Chrysler 22 "Blues Image"

http://bluesimage.blogspot.com/
FranS

Post by FranS »

Sorry, Can't help you with this one :-)
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Greg, Is it a red cap ? Could be a dummy plug for an old knot meter or such.
gregcrawford

Post by gregcrawford »

No, it appears to be a cast aluminum cap with gripping surface around the perimeter. It also has the remnants of a chain on it. Probably 1-1/2" pipe size. There are screw holes in the cabin sole on either side like something was fastened there at one time. That's what made me think it may be for a head, but it would be directly under it if it was.
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN

Mario G

Post by Mario G »

Do you have a thru hull in the small compartment under the forward starboard side port window for the galley sink or could this be it or for a bilge pump?

We like pictures
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Access to suck water out that was leaking in from the keel brackets?
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Could be one of those custom adds that the previous owner did, and maybe only he can shed light on. There are days I wish I knew who EE's PO's were so I could ask a few questions !
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Just FYI,

In the area he is describing there is a hollow space between the inner lining and the outer hull. If the keel brackets leak it will fill this area up, that is not to say it could not be access to a through hull but the hull is thick/reinforced and v shaped in this area. I know because I attempted to put my shoot through depth sounder there after drilling through the inner lining and it did not work.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Ah, I see - the C26 has a place like that in the companionway between the cabin and vberth. Thanks
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Alan is right on!

Always feel free to ask away,,, we've all been there and were here to help!

My C-22 didn't have what your asking about, makes me think it was an add on by the PO also. Does it definately go all the way through the hull?? Sounds like a toe stubber in that location now!

Billy
Paul the Denverite

Hole thingy with the cap on top

Post by Paul the Denverite »

I just got my 77 C-22 about a month ago so I'm still learning about it. For instance it can handle a 18" snow.

If I understand the location of this pipe it is forward of the officers' mess, on the port side of the lubber's line; or the port, aft area of the Captain's quarters (V berth). My boat has a wood contraption in that location to hold the portable head. Searching some manuals and pictures on line I think this is the location of the optional head on some of the boats. Kept it across from the galley rather than next to it!!
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:41 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not know what that threw hull is you have described. I do not have that on my C-22 and I believe my 1976 had every option that Chrysler offered.

I have pullies on my c-22 I have no clue what they are used for...lol
I guess I'll have to go sailing again to get pictures.

2 pullies joind at the back stay and 2 at base on the transom and then 2 at each end of the boom runner.
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Not to start a argument but the backstay on the 22 won't bend the mast, why? Because the forestay is attached the top of the mast. All tightening the backstay does is to tighten the forestay which as the winds get higher will help reduce heel of the boat by keeping the sails flatter. The shrouds are slightly behind the mast but this would bend the mast in the wrong direction and the lowers would have to be over tightened in order to accomplish this. In order to correctly bend the mast the forestay would need to be attached lower on the mast or the lowers would need to be forward of the mast step.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Thanks, Alan, nice pics
Hey, Banshi, good question too !

The manual has just about the most vague verbiage I've ever read. "It is the forward component of the inward thrust of the spreaders that causes most of the noticeable mast bend in the center plane of the boat."

I think the intent is to say that when you tighten the shrouds you aren't pulling the mast head downward to the boat so much as you are squeezing the spreaders in towards the mast and with most of the pressure pushing on the front of the mast at that point. The mast becomes less flexible at the point and below it, so that when you pull on the backstay instead of the entire mast leaning back (rake) only the part from the spreaders up bends back, causing the bend.

True, if you don't ease up on the forestay a bit, pulling on the backstay won't have much effect since it can't pull the masthead backwards if the forestay is tight enough to not allow it. You'll just pull the whole mast downward. (Or if you are a C-26, you'll pull the chainplates up, :? )

The Coronado 15 is rigged similar to the C22 spreader sweep and shroud wise but with NO backstay, and the shrouds attaching a bit further back on the deck, and if you crank on those shrouds that little mast will bend so much at the spreaders you'd swear it would break right there.
Windward

Post by Windward »

On the C26, tightening the backstay adjuster reduces headstay sag; this flattens the jib somewhat, can improve pointing and may reduce heeling. It also causes the mast to bow slightly (but measurably) forward at the spreaders. This helps flatten the center of the main, useful in high winds.

Note that this bend is roughly in the middle of the mast, not at the top, and results from the resulting increased compression on the mast forcing out of column.

I adjust the forward lowers to initiate 1/2" to 1" of prebend (depending on the main... more bend for my fuller main), then adjust the aft lowers to limit the bend to no more than 2" - 2.5" (roughly 1/2 the mast's fore/aft dimension) when backstay's at max tension. I may also increase tension on the lowers if necessary to address mast pumping, which sometimes occurs during strong, gusty conditions.
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
gregcrawford

Post by gregcrawford »

Okay. For everyone who asked, here is a picture of said offending through hull, if I can figure out how to do it.

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/214636 ... 4140gxkLpF
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN

Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Oh, good picture.

I don't know if I have that or not. I have a wooden platfrom bolted in right over the top of this spot that my porta-potty (Head) snaps onto. I will have to pull that up and see if I have this too. Seems too far forward and off cthe center line to be part of the keel though. You say through hull, so you can see this on the outside of the hull as well? Again I have no exterior evidence of this on my boat ether.

I'm betting this was for an after market head of some sort.

Thanks
Alan

Photo of Head on platform same location as you through hull port.
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
gregcrawford

Post by gregcrawford »

Yes, it is a through hull you can see on the outside. I should have taken a picture of that too. I agree, it must have been for a marine head of some type.
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN

EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Went thru all the pics, and that is a sweet boat !
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Wow someone did some nice upgrades on your wood work inside and the doors are excellent from the cockpit to the cabin.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Looking at the pictures of the through hull and the other smaller holes in the floor...I appears to me to be the old shower stall :lol:
Really... I guess a old marine head or maybe a galley set up of some kind. For sure not origional equipment.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
gregcrawford

Post by gregcrawford »

Well, looks like the general consensus is that it is not original equipment.

PO said nothing about anything being there, and he used a portapotty.

The boat had the slide out galley when the PO got it, but he said he discarded the galley during clean up because it was in such bad shape. I really wish he hadn't done that...
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN

gregcrawford

Post by gregcrawford »

Aha! The "Good Stuff" Mariner posted shows a price list with an optional

"Permanantly mounted recirculating marine head". Maybe my through hull was for water pick up?
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN

Paul the Denverite

Post by Paul the Denverite »

I believe my Nov 2nd post said that. Hey, I'm used to being ignored.
gregcrawford

Post by gregcrawford »

Indeed you did. Evidently, this was a rarely taken option as no one else seems to have one. So some previous owner removed it. I think I will fabricate a nice mahogany bracket to hold my portapotty there and call it done. Thanks for everyone's input!
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN