Inboard diesel

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
dybis

Inboard diesel

Post by dybis »

Hi,

I am considering installing an inboard diesel engine in my Chrysler C22. I wondered if any of you have any experience or knowledge about such a thing? I am considering a Yamnar or Volvo Penta 9-10 HP.

My outboard works fine, but when the waves are to big it gets flooded.

Best Regards,

Haakon
SteveS

Sounds good to me.

Post by SteveS »

I haven't tried anything that ambitious, but I have experienced the same problem with outboards in large waves. Keep us posted, if you can make it work I want pictures...

Steve
Rich

Post by Rich »

Yeah, try and get pictures of the project in various phases. That will be very interesting for everyone. Keep us posted!
"Yeah, God's given us this beautiful day. Let His Spirit fill your soul like the wind in the sails!" -Walkin' on the Docks
NYCSAILOR

saildrive?

Post by NYCSAILOR »

I know the chrysler had a inboard with a saildrive option when new but never saw a boat witht hat OEM option...wondering what they used and where they put the tank etc.. I am considering a volvo or yanmar sailrive unit...seems perfect for the c-26 boat...but people have cautioned me the boat is just not worth it the cost or effort... :cry: any others do this consider/reject this...
squint

Post by squint »

Anyone have pics of the chryslers with an inboard?? Sounds pretty slick!
hotdot

saildrive

Post by hotdot »

I keep thinking this saildrive <http://saildrive280.com/> would be a good installation. It looks simple enough and has a overall light weight. The cost seems a bit steep to me.
NYCSAILOR

nice unit but if i was to do it//

Post by NYCSAILOR »

Id be looking for a diesal unit..anyone know what is up with thte OEM unit that chryusler sold as an option? has anyone used a yanmar or volvo saildrive?
nzhub

c22 with inboard

Post by nzhub »

Late response, I just purchased a c22 with a 8hp inboard, it goes great!
Who has gone up to heaven and come down? Whose hands have gathered up the wind? Who has wrapped up the waters in a cloak? Who has established all the ends of the earth?
What is his name, and what is the name of his son? Surely you know! Proverbs 30:4
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

"Late response, I just purchased a c22 with a 8hp inboard, it goes great!"

WOW Nzhub I'm sure when a few of us pick ourselves up off the floor not only will we want much more details but pictures as well.

The C-26's would do great with a Yanmar engine I'm sure. If there is any chance of coastal sailing it, I would say it would be very benaficial.
I do like the 2QM20 on our E-32 its small and easy to work on.

The outboard are a lower cost set-up but as long as a diesel last and the thought that you could keep the prop in the water makes it worth thinking about the conversion, that and the C-26 has the space for a sail drive.

I would slap the first person that said a C-26 wasn't worth a conversion. I have stepped on some very plastic (interior) new boats that you couln't have traded me for my C-26.
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Yep, I'm with the rest, Mark! Love to see some pictures of that inboard set-up!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I was thinking a saildrive with diesel or elect. with saildrive forward of rudder.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
monty

Post by monty »

most cost effective might be a Beta (marineized Kubota)and saildrive unit. http://soundmarinediesel.com/aboutbetamarine.html . Installation is pretty straightforward using the fibreglass engine bed. Just shape the bed to the profile of the hull and glass it in.

As far as the OEM setup it used a Volvo MD5A (7.5 hp) through a Volvo-Penta 110s saildrive. Fuel tank (45 litre) was mounted just aft of the galley. With the box around the engine you lose a lot of space but the convenience of just reaching back, turning the key and pushing the single lever control forward can't be beat. With a 66amp alternator I've got no end of 12volt power too.

I haven't tried it in waves yet but it should outperform any transom hung outboard. At idle the boat does 3.2knot and tops out at 5.8knot while burning 750ml. an hour.

Oh, and with the thrust ahead of the rudder the boat will almost turn in its' length.
Messing About
78 C26D (I added the 'D' cause it's got the Volvo diesel!) #490
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

That is so cool!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

PICS!
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
Guster

Post by Guster »

70's Barnett Butterfly "Blue Jean"
1976 C-22