Mondays 11/02/2009 Question and boating safety Tip ANSWERED

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mondays 11/02/2009 Question and boating safety Tip ANSWERED

Post by CaptainScott »

Saftey Tip :
Children Drowning. For today I thought I'd do a quick looksie . .
Did you know that Drowning is the leading cause of death for infants and young children in 18 states? Drowning ranks only 2nd to automible accidents nationally! Did you know 58 percent of parents do not consider drowning a threat to their children? Yeah I know our first thought is well look at all the pools and lakes and parks! That's probably the biggest part of it! Well there is or was my first mistake. Instead of realizing a very valid threat my mind promptly came up with reasons OTHER than my boat as to why one of my children may drown. Yep. I literally thought to myself POOLS. Did not even consider my boats. Guess that is where a lot of folks would fail. Anytime your child or anychild you are responsible for is on your boat or on the dock, make them wear a life jacket! Remember, YOU are the captain of your boat. All parties are YOUR responsibility.

As you all know, I take lots of people in my boats. My number one rule:
Anyone under 18 wears a life jacket on deck and cockpit. The only out for that person is to swim around my boat once completely in the waters we sail in and I will relax my rule. It is not easy to swim around a 40' boat in waters 48-55 degrees! It is a great deterent. However each of my children had to do it to be allowed to walk the decks on nice days without a life jacket. In their own time they each finally did it. Had one guest child promptly remove his life jacket while his parents were looking. The parents did not force the issue. I took the kid in full view of his parents and sternly told him if he did not put the life jacket back on, I would immediately take him and his parents to the nearest dock and set them all off the boat. The parents watched wide eyed as their child submitted and put the life jacket back on. The child from that point forward followed my every request, became extremely pleasant and was a joy to have aboard.
Why his parents did nothing initially I'll never know.

For those interested I pulled the drowning statistical info from "The National Drowning Statistics" reported here:
http://www.infantswim.com/assets/docs/I ... cs2009.pdf

Question for today

Please match the following descriptions with the words:

1) Schooner
2) Yawl
3) Ketch
4) Cutter

A) A two-masted sailing vessel, rigged fore-and-aft, with a large mainmast and a small mizzenmast stepped aft of the rudderpost

B) A two-masted sailing vessel, fore-and-aft rigged, with a tall mainmast and a mizzen stepped forward of the rudderpost

C) A fore-and-aft rigged sailing vessel having at least two masts, with a foremast that is usually smaller than the other masts

D) A single-masted, fore-and-aft-rigged sailing vessel with two or more headsails and a mast set somewhat farther aft than that of a sloop

If you can answer these and recognize each rig on the water from a distance you can indeed impress your friends. I can see you now . . . . . pointing off into the distance at that beautiful sailboat and anouncing " Look at that beautiful schooner". Your friends look at you in awe and admire your seafairing knowledge!!! :o
Last edited by CaptainScott on Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

I'll go with;
A=2
B=3
C=1
D=4
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
FranS

Post by FranS »

) Schooner (c)
2) Yawl (A)
3) Ketch (B)
4) Cutter (D)
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

I've watched parents take infants on motorboats at the lake and can only cringe.
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

I'd like one of each please, I think collecting the whole set is a good thing. :lol:

All righty then, boat recognition test.
1. is C
2. is A (Or a statement made by my Southern family members in reference to 2 or more people, as in the Yankee vernacular "you all") Translation: Yankee = Northerner :shock: Yea, I said it. :wink:
3. is B
4. is D

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

I'm going to wait until Thursday to answer this one since I was a day late posting the question. I will give you a hint though . . . .

Nah, no I won't! LOL!

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

And a good idea to remember that PFD yourself when you are singlehanding.

Last year I had EE scooting down the lake and saw my long bow dockline had come uncoiled and was dragging thru the water. Before I even thought about what I was doing I had decided I could get up there and back before the tiller needed attention, I had let go of the tiller, bounded up on the cabin, forward past the mast, down the drop in front of the forehatch, pulled the line back aboard, and bounded back to the tiller.

Plopped back down at the tiller, and thought "Idiot", if you fall over EE is not Trigger the wonder horse, and does NOT know how to do a MOB drill by herself, and I'm not sure you want to see how long you can tread water in a 40' deep lake until some ski boat runs over you. Plus my bow pulpit was off the boat for repairs so I didn't even have that safety in place.

Having my vest on helps with those stupid flashes I get on occasion.
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

ANSWER:

1-C
2-A
3-B
4-D

1) Schooner C) A fore-and-aft rigged sailing vessel having at least two masts, with a foremast that is usually smaller than the other masts

2) Yawl A) A two-masted sailing vessel, rigged fore-and-aft, with a large mainmast and a small mizzenmast stepped aft of the rudderpost

3) Ketch B) A two-masted sailing vessel, fore-and-aft rigged, with a tall mainmast and a mizzen stepped forward of the rudderpost

4) Cutter D) A single-masted, fore-and-aft-rigged sailing vessel with two or more headsails and a mast set somewhat farther aft than that of a sloop

An interesting note about a Ketch VS a Yawl. From a distance a Yawl generally has a noticeably smaller mizzen mast.

Glad to see so many folks can recognize the various common rigs!
Great Job guys!!!
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

And if that does not make you paranoid about your children around water this will

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/110157.php
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Banshi wrote:And if that does not make you paranoid about your children around water this will

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/110157.php

WOW. That is sad. I was not aware THAT could happen.

Scott
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Me either, my mother (a retired RN) informed me of this about 6 months ago, when I think about how much time I spent in the water as a kid it's a wonder I made it to adulthood. No one should feel bad for not knowing, after all my mother worked for decades in the OR and of all the horror stories I heard as a kid this was not one of them.
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

http://www.snopes.com/medical/disease/drydrowning.asp

According to Snopes this was a case of "delayed drowning", distinct from "dry drowning". Tragic in either case.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com