Outboards and the C22

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
renfam

Outboards and the C22

Post by renfam »

I am interested in any data on what folks are using for engines on their C22 and if any of you can provide any input on sizing the C22 for a newer 4 cycle and your experience. I have predominantly seen recommendation for 6 and 8 HP 4 cycles. I am looking at Honda as there is a dealer close to the boat. Thanks.
jstplan

Outboard

Post by jstplan »

We purchased a Mercury 8HP 4-stroke last spring for our 22. Could not be happier with it. The "new model" tops the scale at 83# (a bit heavy), fuel economy is amazing, obtains hull speed at third throttle.

Shop brands, as this motor is Japanese made by another company for Mercury. I bought Mercury because that is the dealer I have close at hand, expect to pay around $1500.

By the way. our 22 is for sale in West Central Wisconsin. Email me directly if interested. We are moving to a Chrysler 26. Jstplan at yahoo dot com.
Rich

Post by Rich »

We've got a Mariner (same as Merc.) 8 hp as well. One thing about it, it hasn't got the power in reverse, at least not with the prop that comes on it. You really have to gun it to slow down when docking.

I had a Suzuki Sail model, which is specially geared as well as has a special prop, just for sailboats. It was great (until I accidentally ran it out of water and burned the cylinder...big ooops) The thing could easily stop your boat, was great backing out of the slip and so forth.

I plan on getting a new prop someday, hopefully that will solve the reverse situation.
"Yeah, God's given us this beautiful day. Let His Spirit fill your soul like the wind in the sails!" -Walkin' on the Docks
Adam

motor

Post by Adam »

i have a 15hp outboard on my 22cc, it'll pass up anything but a gas station...lol. i would recommend a 8hp thats about the right size. mine was free so i put it on there. ADAM
Wag4513

9hp Nissan

Post by Wag4513 »

I have a 9hp, 2 cycle, Nissan long shaft I bought used in Michigan. It does great. It has electric start, but also pull starts easily.
Jim Laurence
Chrysler C22
Dallas, Texas
dybis

Post by dybis »

I have a 9.9 Johnson, 82 model, long shaft. I wonder if the engine is mounted too low. With full throttle the engine is soaked in water. I have tried adjusting the angle of the engine, but no luck. What is your mounting height? I mean, how deep is your propeller in the water? I have about 10 inches water above the propeller. On the other hand, mounting the engine higher means the propel might spin in the air..
Wag4513

Motor Mount

Post by Wag4513 »

My motor is mounted on an adjustable mount. I can adjust the high of the motor based on conditions. It is also a long shaft motor which keeps the head well above the water.
Jim Laurence
Chrysler C22
Dallas, Texas