Hull Speed

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hull Speed

Post by J. Austin »

Being in Engineering, numbers kinda interest me, so this may be boring for some. Hull speed is generally equated as {the sq. root of LWL multiplied by 1.34} this supposedly can give you the hull speed of your vessel. The math on a 22 comes out to 5.84 knots? It has come to my attention that this seems drastically low. My question is this: What is the highest speed you have logged on you boat (22's and 26')?
These numbers will be given to a local math professor along with specs from our boats to help derive abetter equation for our style of boat. The more input, the more accurate this will be, so I welcome all numbers.

Thanks as Always!
Last edited by J. Austin on Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Don't you fret over hull speed. With enough wind you can get her to plane! LOL!

I had a 28'er breaking 11kts once! Scary but FUN! :)

5.84 kts is indeed acurate for an LWL of 19'0"

Scott
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
sailbob2

Post by sailbob2 »

On my 26' "CRYSTA" I've seen 6kts.
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Interesting,

On our C-22 with GPS our Max speed record is 8.3 mph,, held by me :wink: though it was a short burst,, for almost a year prior Pam held the record at 8.1mph. We've had sustained runs over 6 mph for maybe a quarter mile before the breeze would drop off...

Like Scott say's when planed out it get's interesting with lil room for error :shock:
HJakl

Post by HJakl »

On my Sailpending 9.6 downwind wing to wing and flying asymmertical spinnaker. just on the limit...
we were quite heavy 4 crewmen and provision for 3 days camping ( lots of beer )
Captain Cvock
Chrysler 26
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Please remember "HULL SPEED" is not the maximum speed of your sailboat! It is only the maximum speed your sailboat can go with attempting to climb up over the bow wave! Any speeds through the water above hull speed indicates you are beginning to plane. Like a power boat. You can feel the boat begin to get "wallowy" if thats a word. You know where she seems to roll to port and starboard in a slow cyclical motion.

Another fact to consider is currents. Your GPS will read "SOG" or speed over ground and not "SOW" Speed over water.Big difference in some cases. Also make sure your GPS is reading Knots and not MPH!!! That'll mess with you too!

Now LETS GO SAILING!! :)

Scott
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

5.84 knots = 6.7 mph
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

If you can catch a wave and gust just right cowabunga too.

You'd be surprised just how fast some flat bottom boats like a sunfish or a lightning can go, they plane really well and given the size of the spinnaker on a lightning scary is a good description but so is thrilling.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Banshi wrote: You'd be surprised just how fast some flat bottom boats like a sunfish or a lightning can go,
Heh heh! Not me! I grew up on sunfish and bought a Chrysler Dagger when I was 14! We took an old sunfish sail and made a jib. We hanked it onto the forstay of the dagger!!! I learned a lot about why a sloop rig has the mast stepped further aft than a cat rig! Also learned about downward forces a jib generates on a small boat!!

Picture a Dagger screaming along with two of us as far aft and windward as possible plaining along! Well, we cam upon an unusually large wave. Instead of the bow lifting nicely over the wave, it dove straight in. Next thing ya know we cartwheeled the boat and went flying! What fun!

That however was many moons ago!!! LOL!
Scott
tnc110

Post by tnc110 »

c-22. 7.7 mph off coast of kiawah island near charleston sc. 20-30 mph winds and 6-8 foot seas. I assume the high speed came from surfing down a swell. First time on blue water, was scary at first, but turned out to be quite exciting after we got use to it.
Windwalker

Post by Windwalker »

Windward (C26) has a hull speed of 6.4 knots, and rarely have I been above this.

However, I did do 35 - 40 knots in a Chrysler/Lone Star 16, (full run in 35 to 45 knot winds with 3 knots apparent off the stern).
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

I have a Sunfish and I can still spend all day out on the water if the winds are strong...........I just can't make that turn into shore while I'm still skipping across the top of the water at break neck speeds :) Literally :)
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Windwalker!

Ok how long have you been in Spokane now & we still haven't met?!

I'm hurt.... :(
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

I still have my Sunfish also, nothing more fun on a warm windy day than hiking out, and making the center board sing. Sailboarders may disagree but I could never master that wind sport
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
bay surfer

Post by bay surfer »

Hit 8.9mph with my c-26 with 40+deg heel, one two many beers that day.
regularly hit 6.8-7.2 mph easy.
Holiday

Post by Holiday »

Guillaume C.

Post by Guillaume C. »

Hull speed is not a precise limit, it is only an approximation of the speed where wave resistance increase very quickly. Once you get past it the wave resistance decrease quickly and remain relatively stable, but frictional resistance is still growing and overall you still need more power to go faster. If you can still apply more power, and with proper hull shape, then you may get hydrodynamic lift, the frictional resistance is still growing but wave is not much of a factor at this point, that is what happen to fast powerboat.

With the Chrysler boat you are pretty much limited to theorical hull speed as an average speed, you may go slightly over it (say 7.3 instead of 6.3) but the boat is still in displacement mode and you need to apply lot of power for a very small increase in speed. Chrysler sailboat will not go over it's own wave system without being helped by gravity, that is going down the sloop of a wave. (and that is only semi-displacement mode, you can forget pure planing with a cruising sailboat)

Wish I could find a graph that show proportions of the various resistances... this one only show the general idea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Speed ... stance.gif