Repairing a leak

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Zilbub

Repairing a leak

Post by Zilbub »

Greetings from Kansas!

On my C-22, there is a pipe and cap sticking out of the keel trunk under the seat toward the bow from the table. This pipe and cap is positioned just above and a little toward the stearn from the swing-keel pivot pin. We put our boat in today and it was leaking around this devise. What the heck is it???

Jon
jstplan

Swing keel

Post by jstplan »

That is the housing for your swing keel pin. You can loosen the bolts and recaulk. See the following link for photos of the contruction.

http://www.cashflowfactory.com/keelrepair/index.html

Mike
mjt

Post by mjt »

Hello -

At first I thought this was a pipe that was left over from the head that had been removed from my c-22. I figured that they placed a plastic rod in the pipe and placed a cap on the end.

However, other C-22 owners have told me that the pipe with the plastic rod inside is intended to minimize the sideways slapping of the keel in the keel housing. The plastic rod extends into the keel housing and serves as something of a guide.

It seems like sort of an odd set-up. If the real intent is to minimize the amount of side-to-side motion of the keel - it would seem easier to just install some guideblocks of some sort in the keel housing on each side of the keel. Now you have a situation where the keel is basically hammering on the plastic pin, which in turn places pressure on the bolts holding the pipe flange.

Mike