Howdy y'all!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Howdy y'all!

Post by LeatherneckPA »

I wanted to start of with a headline of "Ahoy thar", but that seemed wrong somehow since my boat hasn't even seen the water since my wife bought it 6 years ago. :shock:

I am a 51 yr old retired law enforcement officer who has ALWAYS had an unrealized dream of sailing to distant and unfamiliar places. For my 45th birthday, my long-suffering and decidedly better half bought me a daysailer she had seen in someone's back yard. It's a Chrysler Lone Star 16, I haven't figured out the year yet.

Time, money, and job responsibilities conspired to keep me off the water. It didn't come with sails. So I bought some online from Atlantic Sail Traders and of course they didn't fit. Actually, they do fit, it's just that there isn't any room to snug them up to get any tension on the sails. And I think the main lets the boom hang down too low. I had just dropped more for sails than she spent for the boat and trailer. No money left in the kitty. Then the tires went bad on the trailer; etc, etc, etc. (excuses, excuses, and more excuses. 'nuff said)

So anyway, this year I have decided that I am going to get this baby back in the water. I've got a 389 acre lake within 20 minutes of home and a 4,000+ acre lake less than an hour away. Keep your eyes open. there will be LOTS of questions coming up since I believe there might be at least one or two people here who might actually have specific knowledge of my boat.
Iron Mike - Semper Fidelis
Jack of all trades, Master of none
1978 C-22: Believer
mikepaddle

Ahoy From LS-16 #249 in Dallas Texas!

Post by mikepaddle »

Glad to see a post from another LS-16 owner. Mine is a 1960 model (#249) and I am only the third owner. The 2nd owner had her for thirty four years. She is pretty well through her restoration except for cosmetics. My two biggest challenges were replacing the wooden floor and fabricating gaskets for the bilge boards. FYI - The earlier models had a flat, carpeted plywood floor about 8' X 36" and the later models had teak slats.

I have the original owners manual and even schematics for adding a spinnaker. If you need reference materials, have questions, or want to see photos, please feel free to send me a PM. I would be interested in seeing photos of your boat too.

By the way, look on the upper starboard corner of the transon for an ID plate. The last digits are the year of build.

Hpe to hear from you soon!

Mike
mariner

Welcome

Post by mariner »

Hew guys, you can download the LS-16 parts manual from the link below.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... 0b57f8558f

Link is only active for seven days....
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

Run Guys! Its the Cops!

J/k -Mike

Welcome, get that girl in the water asap, and if its one thing this group likes, its pictures and questions.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow, that was quick ...

Post by LeatherneckPA »

I only posted that this morning. Nice to hear from you guys already.

mike, I'll go take a look at that transom when I get done here. And once she's up and running don't be surprised if I show up around Dallas for some R&R.

mariner, Thank You!! I had the 10 pg owner's manual. And someone had sent me the two illustrations in your packet. But I did not have that parts list. Now I can look up what to call stuff when I'm trying to repair/replace it.

j42goose, dude, you couldn't run from me. I worked a maximum security penitentiary with a 30' wall and eight gun towers. If you saw me it was too late to run. Last "successful" attempt was in 1973, kind of. Got outside the wall, but froze to death inside the trailer he was locked in.
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Welcome, fellow law enforcement officer here... have yet to reach that golden ring of retirement. know all too well the empty kitty affiction. I'm in the mist of overhauling a 1980 c26 myself and the closest large lake (freah water type) is four to five hours away. All the aggravation I'm sure will pay off in the end for the borth of us, but I find myself envious of what must be the simplicity of a sailboat only 16 feet long. :wink:

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
Pandora (for now)
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome aboard Mike!
It's a pretty friendly and knowledgable group you've found here! Ask away the questions and please post some pictures of your LS16!

LEO's always welcome!

Scott
sharps4590

Post by sharps4590 »

Welcome from a former LEO.....a long time ago! You're younger than me by 6 years and I'm a newbie here so it's never too late. These guys are great. They've certainly helped me get my Bucc ready for splash....(as soon as this flippin' weather straightens out)...they gotta be good if I can learn from them. Good luck with the Lone Star!

Vic
There is no right way to do a wrong thing
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ahoy From LS-16 #249 in Dallas Texas!

Post by LeatherneckPA »

mikepaddle wrote:look on the upper starboard corner of the transon for an ID plate. The last digits are the year of build. -Mike
mike, i just checked and there is a little plate on the upper right corner of the transom. The black paint on it has almost completely worn off, except for the part that says Chrysler. I did a rubbing on it just to see if I could lift any impressions, only one. A series of nine digits are centered on the plate. Oh, and of course there are the max capacity plates inside the stern, centered over the cooler well.

The nine digits are 218000811. Somehow I doubt that the boat was built in 0811. Any other ideas? I'm going to the chryslerlizards site to see if I can find that article about reading HIN's.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

A good link for that HIN lookup is

http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic1.aspx

EE
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

alanhod, sounds to me like that man needs to get his priorities in order. Try reminding him that our career has the 2nd highest levels of alcoholism and divorce AND suicide in the USA. He really needs to take some time to destress. (Of course, I was a Lieutenant who worked at institutions four hours away from my family for 7 out of 23 years, so I have no room to talk.)
skyking

Post by skyking »

Hi Mike, and welcome abad...what lake are you close to that is 4000 acres?