Chrysler 20

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
ssamac55

Chrysler 20

Post by ssamac55 »

I have a chance to buy a chrysler 20 in really nice shape but do not know much about the boat. The phrf is 100.6 which says it's slow. One of the guys in our club has a chrysler 22 and the phrf is 100.8 but he regularly beats out Catalina 22s and similar with PHRFs in the 95-96 area. Can anyone explain the disconnect. We always thought that his numbers were wrong but they are not

And about skill-- on a par with the rest of the fleet so it's not a matter of the other guys not know ing how to sail

Sam
Rich

Post by Rich »

A PHRF for a 20' boat is almost the same as a 22'? That says to me the 20' boat is faster foot for foot than the 22. Also, your PHRF numbers sound a lot lower than the ones here in my area. Unless all you want the boat for is racing, I wouldn't worry too much about the PHRF, I'd focus more on if the boat has the features you want, is a boat you are comfortable with, if it has the look that you like and so on. I mean if you are looking for a flat out race boat, look at the Cal 20, or maybe a Santana 20. Both of those are VERY fast, and reasonably priced.
"Yeah, God's given us this beautiful day. Let His Spirit fill your soul like the wind in the sails!" -Walkin' on the Docks