Bottom Paint

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Terrapin

Bottom Paint

Post by Terrapin »

I am considering my options on bottom paint. Our boat 'Terrapin Station' will be kept in the water this summer on Lake Winnebago in Wisconsin. Its a '75 C-22. I am not looking to invest a lot of time or $$, as I would prefer to launch ASAP!

My plan was to use Interlux 'Bottomkote' as this will go over the existing paint (not sure what the existing paint is) and seems to be a lower cost alternative.

The advice from the boat store was to strip to the gelcoat, apply a barrier coat, then apply a paint designed for racing? Very time consuming and very expensive.

Any suggestions?
Rich

Post by Rich »

That would probably be just fine. Fresh water doesn't make quite the mess of a boat bottom as salt does. If you were in salt I'd say get the best you can afford, but with fresh, just get a nice middle of the road bottom paint that doesn't require you to strip your current paint completely. You will still need to sand it down a bit, to make sure you have a good base to paint on.
"Yeah, God's given us this beautiful day. Let His Spirit fill your soul like the wind in the sails!" -Walkin' on the Docks