Eastern US Chrysler rally

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Eastern US Chrysler rally

Post by LeatherneckPA »

Banshi and I were talking about a WIDE variety of things between 10am and 10pm on Wednesday. (Yep, he donated 12 full hours of his time to assist a complete stranger!)

One of the ideas that spouted from my brain while I was rambling (and probably monopolizing the conversation, since I do tend to ramble on) was that we should hold a Chrysler Sailors Rally next summer (2011), somewhere east of the Mississippi. I'm not trying to shut out you left-coasters, just trying to be realistic about travel time and such right now.

I am putting it out there now so people can start planning vacation time and funding. I'd very much like to hear from you about likely places to hold such a gathering. A few things I believe the venue should include are:

1 - good sailing obviously;

2 - long-term parking for vehicles and trailers;

3 - local accommodations for those who can't sleep aboard;

4 - pick a time of year when the temperature is conducive to sleeping aboard without air conditioning;

5 - a personal preference of mine would be fewer powerboats and PWC's but let's see what y'all come up with.

It could be coastal or a lake. I think we might try to make it within a day's drive from as many of us as possible, which for me in PA means no lower than the SC/GA border. I guess the northern limit to be somewhere below Washington DC/Winchester VA. I've never driven east-to-west on I-40 so I can't estimate a western limit. Suggestions?

I would like to suggest somewhere around Cherokee Lake in TN or Ocracoke Island in NC, for starters.

Let's see where this thread goes.
Iron Mike - Semper Fidelis
Jack of all trades, Master of none
1978 C-22: Believer
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'll be there

Post by hp18carr »

As long as its on the East (coastal or a lake), I'll be there. Just as a spectator this time round... my overhaul still has a long way to go.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
Pandora (for now)
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

I think Terrence found the place in Tenn to have a get together with 6 Chryslers already there.

I'm still not sur my fixed keel C-26 is a trailerable sailboat but I will try to work that out by next year.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

http://www.bigwatermarina.com/

Here is another place, I think they rent slips nightly as well. I am thinking of an early October trip over the weekend.
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

It might help me if prospective attendees would please tell me what city and state they are located in. That way I can try to find something geographically central to the greatest number of sailors.
fuseitinthesun

Post by fuseitinthesun »

I would come with my LS-13 if the date worked. I'm in Lansing, MI. Should have new sails by then...
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
skyking

Post by skyking »

Hi Mike,

depending on the dates, I my wife and I should be able to attend...I really dont think that I would trailer my Fixed keel boat anywhere, but , would gladly come and enjoy the get togather..., probably bring the kayaks along...
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Sounds great to me. I'm only a few miles from cherokee lake. If you settle on this area Douglas lake might be a better choice, Larger open areas and real close to Pigon forge, Gatlinburg, and the Smokey Mts NP which might make for a couple of nice excursions for the ladys and such.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Just for the record I'm game for where ever
slane1124

Post by slane1124 »

please include me in plans. still in refurb process, but am about 60 miles south of atlanta, and very interested!!
Robbie
'76 Chrysler 22
"Sea-Shell-E"
sail # 879
www.ndipolygraphservices.com
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

OK, I started a spreadsheet to give me an idea how many were interested and where they were all from. So far there are TEN of us who have expressed an interest. That is if we take Alan seriously and plan on him crewing with someone.

I'd like to fill in the blanks, if you would PM me or e-mail me with the information below. My e-mail is leatherneckpa at comcast dot net.

I do not have real names nor boat names for three of you:
Mario G (also need a City for you),
fuseitinthesun,
and Jmckamey.

No last names for:
Tim,
Robbie,
and Terrence.

The largest boat of the bunch is Mario's C-26, but he's also one of the closer sailors. If we were to use Cherokee Lake TN, I actually have the longest drive at about 600 miles. Banshi and fuseitinthesun are just slightly behind me, maybe 50 miles or so.

With fuseitinthesun planning to be there I think we should rule out Ocracoke this first year. That would make his drive over 900 miles. I have to close this post to check on that other TN lake that was suggested. I'll get back to y'all.
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

Feelers sent out to DouglasLakeinfo.com and a few campgrounds on Cherokee Lake. Right now I'm leaning toward Cherokee Lake because it seems to have the right combination of launches, campgrounds, and services. And if there are any non-participants who want to see Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area it's only 45 mins to an hour away.

How does the group feel about scheduling this for the end-of-May/beginning-of-June 2011? I'm thinking that for many of us scheduling around the Memorial Day weekend gets us an extra day without burning vacation time.

We could drive in May 28 or 29 and leave for home June 4 or 5.

Feel free to jump in here, don't let me monopolize the discussion.
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

I have been wanting to attend something like this for a while. Count me in once everyone decides. I would prefer someplace either around the great lakes or the East coast Ocean. But I am not picky either!
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

I am in Central Ohio so Tennessee is not that much of a drive.
skyking

Post by skyking »

Hows the weather that time of year in Tenn? Memorial day or the 4th of July weekend would be fine from my end...either way we could save the extra vacation day...Ill go along with either...I'm flexable..
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

probably would not be able to bring the C-26 but I am near Albany NY let me know.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Weather in East TN on mermorial day can be a little hit or miss, but Usually Pleasent. Fourth of July weekend, Count on hot and muggy, with little or no air moving.
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

http://www.towndock.net/about_oriental

I'm going to volunteer and sail there this weekend and check it out. There always seems to be good sailing here at the coast. And I think because this is ICW it would be great for any size boat. LOL A swing keel would be nice at times.

I'll tell the 1st mate we can't sell the C-22 yet. :D :D incase its inland.
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

Oriental is nice. It doesn't really add significantly to the drive for me or Banshi but it would double the mileage for fuseitinthesun. Look for a poll in the next few days to see where people are interested in going.

Also, I spoke to the First Mate last night and she made it quite clear she intends to attend.
gregcrawford

Post by gregcrawford »

I love Oriental. Been there four times just for fun, but have never sailed there yet. The public free ramp at the end of Midgett (Midyett?) Street may or may not be deep enough to launch everyone. Even with the tongue extension I had most of the back tires of my F350 in the water to get my C22 launched on Memorial Day weekend at my place. But there may be other ramps in the area. There are several marinas and a couple with travel lifts.

On the other hand, my boat is on Watts Bar Lake in Tennessee, which supports quite a few sailboats on its own. Cherokee Lake is about 30 miles from me. Oriental is about 8 hours drive from Knoxville.

Over Memorial Day weekend we had 5 to 9 knot winds and 85 degree temps.
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN

1976 Chrysler 22 "Blues Image"

http://bluesimage.blogspot.com/
thepartydog

Post by thepartydog »

Hey, think of what we'll save in two cycle oil if we have it in Destin.

Darin
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

OMg, funny Darin.
Topical humor, loveit.

Iron mike put me on your spread sheet.
I hate to propose the obvious, but we have a couple nice lakes near us.
Erie, Michigan, migh make more of a mid-east type thing.
Anyway my tow vehicle is in the barn and ready!
Maybe we can get a MI convoy to wherever.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
slane1124

Post by slane1124 »

I sailed with a friend around Jekyl Island last year, and we were docked at a place that had shower facilities. My wife is going to be talked into this (but dont tell her yet), so there must be similar facilities, and maybe even power to dock for boats. Will do research and vote this weekend as well. this is the motivation i needed to finish and get some water time!! Thanks!
Robbie
'76 Chrysler 22
"Sea-Shell-E"
sail # 879
slane1124

Post by slane1124 »

see, already getting ready for 2011 trip
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14136396@N02/4696818463/
wooooo hoooo!!!
Robbie
'76 Chrysler 22
"Sea-Shell-E"
sail # 879
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

OK, well, it's a been a couple of weeks since I posted the poll. Five people voted, and all five voted for Cherokee Lake in TN.

So you want to plan to arrive in TN sometime during Memorial Day weekend next year, 2011. The plan is to sail, BBQ, and party all week long. I read someplace that anytime two sailboats are headed in the same direction it becomes a race, no matter what. So I would bet there will be something along those lines happening as well, on a strictly FUN basis. Start planning now to attend the First Annual Eastern Chrysler Sailboat Rendezvous. Ideas for a t-shirt?

The operative words here will be FUN and Family Friendly. Rum, beer, wine coolers, sweet tea; whatever your personal choice but plan to party responsibly. I spent 25 years working on the other side of the bars, I do not intend to spend one more night behind bars.

I will be taking a motorcycle trip down there some time this fall to scout out a facility that can accommodate us, including cabins or a hotel or campground plus some place to leave our trucks and trailers. If one of you "local" fellas wants to do a little scouting for me I would appreciate it. I would even consider Douglas Lake if someone with local knowledge can put me in touch with suitable facilities there instead. They are basically only an hour apart.
mga1951

Post by mga1951 »

Hi, Sounds like a fun time.
Iwill try and make it too!!
Jeffrey
Fore Sail
1976 C-22
skyking

Post by skyking »

Keep us posted...Maybe the wife and I will get thru there this summer as well...were going to do a bit of traveling down south around labor day... :D

I'm all about the Rum 8)
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Hey Leatherneck, Look me up when you ride down here. I'll ride over and meet you. I'll be sporting around on a Vulcan 1500 classic. In the meantime Will try to get over that way and take a look around.
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

It appears we may have a locale for the 2011 First Annual Eastern Chrysler Sailors Rally. I am in communication with Black Oak Marina on Cherokee Lake, near Jefferson City, TN. Working on details, which will follow.

These folks are not only very friendly, they also happen to be the home port for the Cherokee Lake Sailing Club. I researched a bunch of other marinas on Cherokee and Douglas lakes but this is the only one that actually caters to sailboats. The others are all about pontoon boats, ski boats, and those devil-spawned PWC's.

They tell me they can accommodate 10-12 tow rigs comfortably, and if the number is more like 20 they say "we can work something out". Unfortunately they have no rooms on site for those not "living aboard", but they can "work something out" for a few RV/trailer types. They are getting me the names and numbers for local hotels and restaurants.

Just throwing something out there too, they rent out what they call the Flo-Lodge which looks like a pontoon hotel suite that might accommodate two or three couples.

Opinions welcomed.