Length of Rudder...C-26

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
EricBerg

Length of Rudder...C-26

Post by EricBerg »

HI folks...a quick question here.. for you C-26 owners. The previous owner towed his boat, (now mine) with the rudder dropped down. Quite a bit has been ground off of it. How long is the rudder on your swing keel, from the center mounting bolt to the bottom? How short do I dare have mine?

I'm also thinking about removing the carpet, and have a hard floor, (one that won't absorb water. Any ideas for treatment or coating?

Thank you in advance for your consideration.
Eric.
jstplan

Post by jstplan »

Eric
I'll get that rudder measurement for you tomorrow night. It is raining
again! That's 20 days with rain out of the last 26
Carpet,,,,,, been there, done that!
When I bought my boat this Nov, it had six inches of standing water on the cabin floor about to freeze solid until April. After pumping her dry I yanked out the wet carpet. I was left with no less than three layers of adhesive (different colors), each layer thicker than the previous. The stuff, 3/8" thick in places, was harder than Bondo! I attacked it with a right angle grinder armed with a sanding disc (wear a respirator). It took many hours of uncomfortable sanding to get the cabin sole smooth enough to walk on. You will sand through the gel coat often, I assure you. Then I painted it. I paneled the settee fronts and laid a cheap hunk of indoor outdoor carpet over the sole. It is held in place with four pieces of double backed tape.
I have a bug up my butt to ceramic tile the sole someday with those little 1' tiles, we'll see! But I promise no more glued down carpet.
Mike
jstplan

Rudder length

Post by jstplan »

Make that 21 days out of 27 and throw in a gust of wind over 50 mph this evening.

My rudder is 28 1/4" inches from the bottom of the rudder bracket (alum. disk).

Somebody should get a good drawing (tracing) of the rudder to cover any future losses, (like the drawing of the CBC22 rudder on the Chrysler site).

Hoping this is what you needed, Mike.
clair hofmann

floor coating for c 26

Post by clair hofmann »

The November/ December 04 issue of Good Old Boat page 28 has an intersting floor coating. I had the same experience with wet carpet that I pulled out. I will definetly check this out when I get to that part of the refurb. The manufacturer can be found at www.designerflake.com
and the U.S. distributer is found at www.epoxyproducts.com. The article in G.O.B. makes it look like an easy process with attractive results.
Good luck
Clair
EricBerg

Post by EricBerg »

Thank you all. ....I've been sanding and varnishing the companionway boards. The PO had not touched them in years, and they had mildewed black. It took a lot of sanding to get back to nice wood. Slowly but surely, it's looking better.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Apologies to whoever sent me this a while back as I cannnot find the original email that it came with, but here is a representation of a C26 rudder as was shared with me...your mileage may vary <G>

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Gro ... 911rud.jpg