Questions....while I'm at it..

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
EricBerg

Questions....while I'm at it..

Post by EricBerg »

Folks..
Here's some questions for discussion. My C-26 came w/ 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke. Are your outboards converted to remote control? When do you lean over and tip the motor up to clear the water, or do you always leave it down?

If you have all the outboard controls still on motor, do you open up the lazarette to start, and control the motor? Is that a problem if you tip it up?

Do you have a permanent bilge pump? Where and how? I've got to learn these things before I get it on the water.

Thanks in advance...Eric.

byw...I'm in SD, and would like to sail w/ someone in the midwest on a C-26 in the next year or so, so I know what to expect when I get mine in the water....any offers?
jstplan

Questions

Post by jstplan »

Hello Eric

My "new" boat Folly is still sitting in the yard I WILL get her in the water soon.

Eric, you and any other adventurous midwestern souls would be welcome to sail with us anytime. Be advised however I plan to use your experience for my personal gain. Folly will be at Lake Petenwell, sixty miles east of La Crosse, WI.

My original motor mount had been repaired but still didn't inspire confidence. My motor (8hp Mercury-Tohatso) would not tilt up, being too tall, so it wold have to be left in the water all summer (sailing too).

At the last minute, I bit the bullet and ordered a new motor bracket. While I await its arrival I have unscrewed and removed the original mount. I have laminated three layers of 1/2" ply inside the lazaret against the inside of the transom and have prepared a 3/4" ply to glue to the outside sandwiching the transom. I will thru bolt the new bracket to all of this. I left the top 4" of the cut out open. With luck I will be able to reach through the lazaret and pull the starter cord. I will advise more in a few days.

Next season I will address motor control issues and think about electric start. This year I will be leaning over to shift gears and run the throttle.

I have a small bilge pump located aft of the keel housing basically directly below the entry ladder, reach forward from the aft storage area, just follow the hull line, it is a very small bilge area.

Mike
EricBerg

Post by EricBerg »

Thanks for your reply...it's encouraging. My experience with a C-26....None!
20 yrs ago I helped crew on a Pearson 30' on Lake Pepin, Mississippi River at Lake City. Helped for about 4 seasons, 4 or 5 times a year.
For the past 4 years have had a 12 ft Snark dinghy. I bought my C boat on a whim at a farm auction sale, and am getting it back into shape. I hope to get it on the water next year.
Thanks for your info on how your's is fitted.

Eric.