Chrysler 22 project

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Jmckamey

Chrysler 22 project

Post by Jmckamey »

Here is a link to some pics of the C22 project to get you up to date. The Keel is in now with new brackets and pin. Boy what a relief. I think the next thing I'll do is fit the trailer.

http://s743.photobucket.com/albums/xx80 ... 6c02f1.pbw
kalamazoogal

good progress

Post by kalamazoogal »

Looks like you're moving right along. Keep up the good work !
KalamazooGal 1977 C-26
sharps4590

Post by sharps4590 »

Jm...you are a much braver soul than I!!! Lookin' good there!
There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

Oh, man, you're leaving me in suspense!!! I see you got the keel under the boat, but I can't wait for the end of the story of how you got the two mated back up again. Please, more picutres!!

Paul, waiting with baited breath
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

Great job!
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

Thats all looking great
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

Jeff, FANTASTIC documentation dude. thank you! I have bookmarked it and will be returning often. Now I know how to get my trailer out from under Believer. What a resource this board is!
Iron Mike - Semper Fidelis
Jack of all trades, Master of none
1978 C-22: Believer
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Hey leatherneck, I would advise against doing it on gravel. The site the 22 is on started out for the purpose of having the C20 on it for a couple of days while I piinted the bottom and trailer. Next thing you know along comes a C22. LoL. Lots of fun to be had tring to scoot around 825#'s of keel on rocks. Jeff
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Looking great!

Nice job!

Scott
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Wow!

Nice progress!

I have a question tho,,, on your keel pin it shows the bolt still in place to pull the pin... Mine has a cap there that screws into place to keep the water out that I don't see on yours... Am I missing something??

You can see mine here on the right side:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/imaging-sit ... 06/jpeg/BG
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

No, nothing missing. Just a shot while work in progress, I had a bolt in place so I could pull the pin in and out while bolting up the brackets in order to keep an eye out on the line up progress. Also used the bolt with a jam nut in place to tap the keel pin home as not to dammage the pin or threads. After the keel and pin was installed I removed the bolt and installed the plug into the bracket with the use or 3m 5200.
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

Nice job!
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
SouthernStar

Project

Post by SouthernStar »

OK I have a question, How did you lift it off the ground then the trailer? I want to get mine off the trailer so I can work on that too....
Ken Latham
"Southern Star" C-22
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Hello southern Star.
First, Where is Bon Auqa TN? I'm in East TN, A few of us are going to get togeather on Cherokee lake over Labor Day 2011. You should come over.

Ok, to answer your Q about how I got the boat off the trailer and onto stands. Now, I am no sailboat expert or any kind of engineer so, some boat gueru(s) might take issue with my method. like I said, this is just the way I did it.
Select a level area with a hard surface. I did this work on gravel and cursed it every day I worked on the boat. The first thing I did was to lower the front of the trailer. I then took a measurement of the bottom of the boat just foward of the rudder to the ground. I built a custom profile conforming stand to fit that area. I had prevously assembled a cross beam consisting of three 2"x10"x10' boards glued and screwed. On that beam I installed two small peices if 4"x4" cut to form a profile conforming "V" to prevent the boat from rolling. I think I had about $50.00 in lumber and some scraps from some earlier projcts.
So, with the aft stand in place, I placed the beam on the trailer and began stacking cinder blocks under both ends of the beam untill the beam was in contact with the bottom if the bow. After the beam was in place I jacked the beam alternating side to side and placing new blocks on the stacks untill the boat was level. I used one bottle jack and set it on a smaller stack of blocks beside the beam supporting blocks. It only took about 30 mins. to get the boat off the trailer and secured. I had to remove the trailer bunks to move the trailer out from under the boat. (It could have been jacked higher to advoid this step). After the trailer was out of the way I placed blocks under the center of the beam and under the center of the aft stand to act as ultimate safties. I also drove a couple of boards between the ground and the toe rails to stablize the boat laterally. Well, that's the way I did it and I'm still alive. lol.
I still have all the materials, if you are close enough you're welcome to them, although I'm not sure if they will work for a 26 footer. . Good luck. Jeff
SouthernStar

C-22 Stand

Post by SouthernStar »

Thanks neighbor. Bon Aqua is just south of Dickson, about 40 miles west of Nashville. The Labor Day 2011 trip sounds fun, but sadly I will be in the most anti-sailng place in the world...>Iraq!. I should be home soon after that though. I like the method, that might work!!!!
Ken Latham
"Southern Star" C-22
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Sorry we won't see you there. Keep your head down and thanks for what you 're doing. I am an old Navy man myself. When I was in you just did'nt mention it. We were just as likely to be spit on those days, I'm glad things have changed for our service members today. Jeff
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Nicely done Sir!

Excellent documentation too, and mighty fine workmanship to boot.

Thanks,
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing