Beaching a C22

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
gregcrawford

Beaching a C22

Post by gregcrawford »

This may be a dumb question, but I thought I saw a picture of a C22 right up on the beach somewhere.

Has anyone beached their C22? You know, on purpose? If so, what was the procedure, pros and cons, etc.

Mario had intrigued me with the thought of participating in the NCSail Pirate Sail (maybe next year) and that got me thinking about dinghies, beaching, and so on. I have only sailed on lakes except for a brief time in Gulfport, MS and I was thinking about having to tow a dinghy since there is not very much room on deck.

Thanks,
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN

1976 Chrysler 22 "Blues Image"

http://bluesimage.blogspot.com/
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

I am interested in towing a dinghy also, primarily because I'm not a big fan of inflatables. In Lin and Larry Pardey's Cost Conscious Cruiser they discuss the modifications they have made which essentially have turned their 8' dinghy into their emergency lifeboat.

There are two things I especially like about that idea.
  • 1. It's a hard boat, so you're not lying in salt water and getting sores and everything.
    2. You take the sails for it with you and therefore you can work toward your own rescue while waiting for others to respond.
My plan is to build the Shellback dinghy from the plans offered by WoodenBoat store.
Iron Mike - Semper Fidelis
Jack of all trades, Master of none
1978 C-22: Believer
gregcrawford

Post by gregcrawford »

I will probably build the Bolger Nymph and give that a try. I have heard that there are very few hard dinghies that tow well without swamping in rough conditions, hence the popularity of the inflatables.
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN

1976 Chrysler 22 "Blues Image"

http://bluesimage.blogspot.com/
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

That's one of the reasons I am so keen on the Shellback. It has gotten very favorable reviews several times in different articles or letters in WoodenBoat. Plus I like the idea of an 11' dink for gunkholing areas the C-22 can't get into. And as written in one of the articles I read, it's just plain fun to sail around the harbors.

But first I have to build Bolger's 12' Bobcat for my wife as her personal boat, by her request. That will happen either this fall or next spring. I want her to be able to play in it all summer while I'm sailing the LS-16 on the local lake.
kalamazoogal

beaching a boat

Post by kalamazoogal »

Back when we had a 22 I used to beach it fairly often. I had found a spot
on a local lake with a sand bar that tapered downward at about a 45 degree
angle. I'd pull up the keel and just point it into the sand. Once there, we'd
tie anchors off on the stern cleats and put them out a 45 degree angles to
keep the boat square with the shore. I used to pull the rudder all the way
up too just in case the boat would inadvertently turn.
KalamazooGal 1977 C-26
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

We beached (almost) the other week when we had to wait for the railroad bridge to open.
Since we where motoring the keel was already up and I was courious just how well/close I could get to shore. I was prepaired for a soft slide on to the beach...but the beach drop-off must have been right at about 12" because we came sudden stop with the bow still a foot from shore :? , but keel in the sand. It was over 6' deep at the stern. I'm figuring you would need a rapid drop-off to get the bow in the sand in power boat style.

Remember to put your ladder over the side before you jump off your boat, a C22 is not a easy craft to climb aboard with out help. could be a funny home video :shock:
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

Capt. Bondo wrote:Remember to put your ladder over the side before you jump off your boat, a C22 is not a easy craft to climb aboard with out help. could be a funny home video :shock:
I'm glad you mentioned this. It's a mistake I can see me making. Of course, maybe I could win on America's Finniest Home Videos?