c26 swing keel removal

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
garrett leavitt

c26 swing keel removal

Post by garrett leavitt »

has anyone sucessfully disassembled and removed a c26 swing keel for blasting and painting? i am looking for some details on the keel shoe/bracket and it's method of attachment into the hull keel stub.
jstplan

Post by jstplan »

Hi Garrett, everyone must be off sailing. Just by chance you haven't discovered this site see http://www.chryslersailing.lizards.net/
NYCKELPIGAN

C-26 swing keel

Post by NYCKELPIGAN »

I removed my swing keel a couple of years ago from the C-26 I bought used. I was concerned about the noise comming from the keel when at rest. As the boat rocked, the keel would knock about in the trunk. My fear was that the pin was worn to the point of breaking. As with the C-22 that I had owned, new in 1977, for a number of years, the nylon sleve, bushing had worn, allowing the keel freedom to move about. On the C-22, the pin is removed from inside the boat. On the C-26, there are two brackets holding the pin. These brackets are removed from the bottom of the boat. I used a floor jack while the boat was supported on stands to balance the keel. Most of the wieght is held by the wench cable in the center of the keel. The stainless steel pin, 5/8 dia, has a nylon bushing as stated, that fits thru the 3/4" hole in the keel. I had the two brackets bored to hold a 3/4" stainless pin, with cert fittings on the end of the brackets. No more noise, and no fear of the pin failing.