Mast raising

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Greg48

Mast raising

Post by Greg48 »

Still trying to raise the mast on my C26. I have owned it since April and still can't seem to get it done. This is where I am at, I have never been on a sailboat so my knowledge of pulleys, blocks, rope/lines how much working load capacity, size of equitment etc is Greek to me. I have spent alot of time reseaching all of this, but have no idea how much pressure is on the system, pulling the mast up. The boat has a roller furler so the old forestay is what I m using. I am using halter chain and 1/8 inch quick links to extend that line to the top of the jin pole. I believe I am using the boom vang pullies, not toally sure, used the process of elimination on this. One pulley is a single with a becket, I have it at the jin pole. The other has two pulley's, one on top of the other, (they are about one inch pulley's) with a cam. I have tied the end of the rope/line to the becket, ran it down through one pulley back up through the block at the jin pole, back down through the other little pulley and thru the cam. I have enough line to run back to my port winch. When I chrank the winch it will lift the mast off of the roller stand I built that is about three feet above the back railing. There seems to be alot of pressure on things, there is no way I could pull it up by hand like Captian Scott does, thats why I question my setup, I weigh in at 270 lbs and can pull a pretty good load. The rope/line I am using I bought a home depot, it is 3/8 polyproplene rated at 244 lbs working load, the pulley's won't take larger rope/line. The last thing I want to do is have something break and drop the mast and destroy something I can't replace. My other option is there anybody that is going to raise their mast over labor day in eastern Washinton or Oregon, if not I would drive 300 miles to the Seattle or Portland area to see it done in person if necessary. Any and all help will be greatly appricated. Thanks Greg48
amayotte

Post by amayotte »

Greg,

It is definitly scary the first couple of times you do it but it gets easier every time you do it.
I would say that you first need to up your pulley purchase to at least a 4:1 (two double pulleys) or 5:1
Have one double pulley with becket at the forestay
Have one double pulley anchored at the bow of the boat.
I am 160 lbs. and the 5:1 setup is no problem for me.
Now you will have to do a quick google on how to properly reave the pulleys because I don't know what type you will buy and therefore can't explain it here.
Once you've increased that there are lots of postings here on how to rig the gin system...kinda sounds like you have that figured.
I personally think the manuals setup is really weak using the boom so I made my own gin pole.

Check out these links to see if they help.
http://picasaweb.google.com/adam.mayotte/RaisingMast#

http://picasaweb.google.com/adam.mayotte/SonadorMast#

Good luck,
Adam
kokezaru

Post by kokezaru »

Hey Greg,

I raised my mast by myself the first time. Took me a bit to rig up a temporary harness out of ropes, but I used the chrysler recommened method with the boom and it went up pretty easily. I did not have to use a winch, but I was using the main sheet tackle @ 4:1, not the boom vang tackle.
Also, I used the main sheet, which has a much, much higher load capacity than that ploy line you got. I would also think that that ploy line would stretch a bit too, and I would recommend against using it.

I think the most important thing when raising the mast is - don't let it go sideways! So, make sure your harness is tight enough.
Also, bring her up nice and slow, and watch that nothing gets hung up.

Maybe you can take a picture of your setup, and then people on this board can take look and give some input.
--Richard

'77 Chrysler C26 "Imori"
kalamazoogal

C26 mast raising

Post by kalamazoogal »

The directions from Chrysler work just fine. Follow them. There are a couple
things we do different. 1) We have a dedicated gin pole rather than using
the main boom 2) We built a mast support that stands on the motor mount which is held in place by a couple chains that are then attached to the rear
cleats. Since this is your first time, the biggest suggestion I can
give you is to have a patient helper present and use one of your winches to do the heavy lifting. Make sure all your lines/clevises and knots are solid
before you put any tension on anything. It is very possible to rig a C26
solo so long as you don't get in a tearing hurry.
KalamazooGal 1977 C-26
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

The above posts are all quiet right on their advice, but for my own peace of mind when I get around to raising my mast for the first time, I plan on building a dedicated gin pole.

Terrence
Wilmingtin N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
Pandora (for now)
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

We follow the Chrysler instructions, using the boom and main sheet with no problems. A helper is good when rigging up the boom/gin pole and also useful for making sure nothing is fouled as you raise the mast.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Hi Greg,

Captain Scott here.

Come on by!
I'd be glad to help you through stepping the mast alone on my C22.
I live in Everett Washington. I have tons of family coming to town for the holiday but some how I believe I have managed a few hours alone on Sunday afternoon! Not sure how that happened! LOL!

If you are seriously interested, contact me ASAP so we can plan some time.

Another option is I plan on taking my C22 to Moses Lake mid to late September. I forgot the dates. However this is not 1000% solid. Any number of things could come up forcing me to change my plans. Should I end up in Eastern Wa you're welcome to drop in and see how things work!

Lastly, for raising the mast, get rid of the polypropolyne. It stretches to much and I believe you would be taking a serious risk if you use it on the bridles or as the lifting line. That however is just my opinion.

Check my links below for my site. I have a contact link there where you can email me off list or get my cellphone number. Otherwise, PM me here if you want to meet up!

Scott
PS: if you contact me through my site, remind me that you are from the chrysler forum so I know who you are.
Greg48

Post by Greg48 »

Thanks for everyones input, I will change a few things and try again. Hopefully I will get the mast up today. Again many thanks Greg
Greg48

Post by Greg48 »

To all who offered suggestions on raising my mast I say thank you again.It is finally up without any problems. I did find out why you do it slow and check often. Everytime the mast started to pull to one side something was hung up on something. Anyway I just might get this thing in the water yet this fall. Today was a good day
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Greg48

Great to hear that you are close to your first sail and please post photos of it if you have the chance. 8)

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
Pandora (for now)
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

congrats Gregg

I'll wait untill I have done it a few times before tring to give my dimes worth of advice other then when I was doing mine I told myself these were made so people like me could trailer sail it.

the benefit of not having a trailer is the mast isn't being stepped often :twisted:
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Sounds like success!
Congratulations!
Scott
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

what is the length ( and girth) of the custom gin pole you guys are making, and what is the dimensions of the famous "pin" used to attach to the boom?
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

what is the length ( and girth) of the custom gin pole you guys are making, and what is the dimensions of the famous "pin" used to attach to the boom?
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Do a web search under Tips-Gin Pole... you will find a nice sight where they build a gin pole that with a little modification should work on a c26.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
Pandora (for now)