Mast Stepping C26 (1979) top heavy and will not rest on rear

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Steve Sailor

Mast Stepping C26 (1979) top heavy and will not rest on rear

Post by Steve Sailor »

I have sailed for years, mostly bigger boats, went down to a Catalina 25 and then picked up a C26 this past spring (1979 model).

When I went to raise the mast via the Chrysler system this summer it was top heavy and would not stay in the pivot pin while resting on the rear rail but instead wanted to flip up and out. Is this normal?

On my Catalina there was no problem with the mast balance and it was definitely bottom heavy enough to make it easy to put into the pivot brackets (did build a mast raising A Frame for the Catalina which worked out great for keeping it from moving side to side as it was raised).

Since I wasn't sure about the balance issue and not wanting to let the mast get away from me while rainsing it (which it did when I took it down to trailer it home after I bought it) I just paid the yard to raise it.

My mast looks original and has the pivot bracket, per the book diagrams, at the bottom but the top heavy nature of it has me worried about trying to take it down again via the Chrysler system and having it get away from me AGAIN.

Any imput as to mast balance, mast length (so I can measure it and see if it is really original), and how to keep it in the pin in the bottom of the mast as it is lowered and raised would be greatly appreciated!!

btw ... I love how the C26 sails. If I can get the mast raising/lowering thing worked out I will be able to do with it what I bought it for, week long cruises at more distant locations.

Stephen
Lake Erie sailor
Chrysler 26, 1979 Sing Keel
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

It doesn't seem to want to stay on that hook at first, I agree. Somebody on the board (sorry can't recall who) mentioned running a bungee crosswise to trap the mast foot against the deck until it gets up a ways, then it slips off by the time it is no longer needed.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

You mean like this......... :wink:

EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Looks like I'm 1 for 2 ! I thought it might have been you Banshi, but I also thought the bungee layed across the mast port to starboard. That's better.

Rather than say I'm 1 and 1, I'll say I'm batting .500. Sounds better in the baseball context than in the football context.
Greg48

Post by Greg48 »

I just raised my mast for the first time on my c-26. I built a stand for the mast to rest on. It is made out of a load lock available at most truck stops, it is aluminum, it can be made out of anything, just something I already had. I cut it so that when finished it is 84 inches overall length including the roller and frame I built. The brace is about 13 inches that slides over the stern rail and is mouinted 46 inches above the foot of the stand. I placed it in the motor well, figured it would be easier to fix fiberglass than stainless stern rail. With the mast sitting on the roller the mast will stay on the mast finger and not want to tip over the back of the boat. When I began to raise the mast it moved about a foot off center. I used rachet straps per dparker on this forum and just racheted the mast back to center then went up with. It tried to move sidways a couple times, checked and found lines tangled, straightned them out and up she went. I am enclosing a webshot address of some pics I took, my first try at this so if it doesn't work pleae let me know and I will try again. GImageood luck and I am A newbie at this also. Have a super great day Greg
kalamazoogal

stepping mast on C26

Post by kalamazoogal »

Your mast support looks a lot like the one I built. If you are worried about
fiberglass, you might consider building a bracket that stands on the top edge of the motor mount. I used a couple light angle iron fingers the engage the corners of the motor mount to accomplish this. Yea, I know, I know pictures... I'll get some asap
KalamazooGal 1977 C-26
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

Perhaps I should find some wood to knock on, but the bottom of my mast is always held down by the hook in the mast step. I just line it up and push it forward and it stays.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com