26 jammed swing keel

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
objohn

26 jammed swing keel

Post by objohn »

Do any of you 26 owners have any experience with a jammed swing keel. The cable broke on my 26 which naturally caused the keel to drop to the down position. I replaced the cable however the keel does not raise. Any ideas on what happened and how to fix it?
jstplan

stuck keel

Post by jstplan »

Did you keel drop violently when the cable broke? If so I would be looking for it to be jammed (wedged) in the keel housing (keel stop).
objohn

Post by objohn »

Jstply - yes it did drop violently . My tenative plan is to tie a line to the end of the keel and pull it to the stern with another boat. Hopefuly that will do the trick. I think the line will drop off after the keel swings aft a bit. Your thoughts on this approach would be appreciated. Thanks objohn
jstplan

stuck keel

Post by jstplan »

Sounds as reasonable as the hard grounding I was going to suggest. I think I would try a line through both stern cleats forward to the jib sheet winches and try easing it loose. Getting the line to lay as low on the keel as possible will be the trick, maybe a short length of chain to weight it down. Unless you are a diver that can secure a loop to it.
jstplan

Post by jstplan »

Did anyone notice that we are on the wrong forum? Oopps. Sorry.