C-26 bilge pumps/ where? how many?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
EricBerg

C-26 bilge pumps/ where? how many?

Post by EricBerg »

Hi folks, working on my C-26. (new to me). Question, this swing keel doesn't have any bilge pumps. What do you folks have, where and how mounted, and what's your advice? Right now, mine only gets a bit of rain water in it, (parked with bow downhill). What have you experienced in the water? Thanks in advance
Eric.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I only get a bit of water in the small space down under the rear berth and just behind the aft part of the keel pocket..., and then only a gallon or so...never is less than that, never more, and it doesn't seem to matter if I check it weekly or once a year..I think it is from humidity and sweat..

I think the only places open on a swing keel C26 are from the bow under the Vberth continuing under the head back along the sides to under the banquette seats, and then that area under the rear berth...

Depending on your model year the area under the sole and keel winch is filled with either lead and concrete, or lead encapsulated in foam
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Oops...I rambled on and didn't answer your question...I have one small pump under the rear berth area, and one at the deepest part of the bow under the vberth...never gotten water in the bow under sail or at dock, stern just collects it sitting at dock.

ps if you are getting water up in the bow from rain, check your anchor rode locker if you have one. When I bought mine, the thin wall at the rear of that locker was cracked where it meets the deck, and that had allowed rain to seep thru and rot out the ply between it and the vberth, then it started on the vberth sole. Then it made mildew and mold...wasn't pretty sight..
EricBerg

bilge pumps...

Post by EricBerg »

Thanks for you input. I've sponged out the aft bilge, under the cockpit. The area under the front Vberth is dry. But I am getting water seeping up through the floor (deck) around the front of the swing keel enclousure. I've the carpet out, and am smoothening and filling in the low spots in preparation to painting a non-skid type paint on the deck, rather than carpet. I am down to the plywood by the keel holder, and I see moisture coming up. If I reach in from under the port side bench seat, just aft of the head , I can dabble my hand in water. I haven't a clue how it gets there.

Are your bildge pumps permanently mounted? Electric or hand pump? Can you operate them from the cockpit?

Thank you again for your time.
ERic.

PS I don't think the boat has been in water for about three yrs.
jstplan

Bilge pump

Post by jstplan »

I too spent most of last winter sanding layers of carpet glue off of the innner liner sole. I too found a few seepage spots that I patched.

In my case the water was coming from melting ice (condesation) trapped inside the hull. Very small puddles form along the keel housing, the fiberglass is not faired well here, reach your hand under port settee and you can feel the low rough spots. I imagine you could pour some resin into the area and allow it to level. I determined it wasn't enough water to worry about. If you crank the bow high enough, the puddles will flow into the bilge area but the actual amount of water won't fill a pint jar.

I have a manual electric pump crammed into the bilge area, my newly purchased automatic doesn't fit. I'm going to mount it as an automatic back-up behind and higher in the storage area under the rear berth.

This summer (and it was very rainy at times) I accumutated less than a quart of water in the bilge area and the deck hardware has never been rebedded, 29 yrs old(this winters job). Some water can roll in under the hatch boards (if the bow is allowed to rest too low on the trailer) or it is a horrendous downfall.
Mike
EricBerg

bilges

Post by EricBerg »

This afternoon I went looking with a flash light through the port settee access. About level with the head, forward of the keel, there was an accumulation of water. I taped a sponge onto a stick, and by reaching forward, soaking the sponge, pulling it out and wringing it out, I was able to get out about 4 to 5 gallons of water. It had been there quite a while, very heathy scum. I know now where to lead one of the bilge pump intakes to.
I am thinking of using the sink drain through hull as an outlet for the bilge pump. Put a couple of splitters, and valves on it, I should be able to use one pump: valve off one bilge hose , pump out the other, and then vice versa. (and also have a though hull shut off valve)

Eric.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

That's where my bilge water goes....out the sink drain..good idea to add a valve there, mine is straight thru, I need to address that..although at rest that thruhull is above waterline on my boat, one day it might not be, and that would not be a good thing...

In the same area where you found water under the head....when I rewired Emergency Exit I found a large skillet up under there..<G>..it was quite nasty..guess someone had put it under the port settee and it slid forward..

bl