Wobbles While Sailing....

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
WindDancer

Post by WindDancer »

I have a c-15 and it sails straight and Like a sports car very clean lines and responsive on the tiller.

I know this is a bigger boat and I don't quite have the feel for it, but My boat had a "poor man's auto pilot" to hold the tiller in one place. It holds the tiller fine , but the boat wobbles all over the lake yet the tiller doesn't move. Sometimes while under sail I have to keep fighting to find and keep the wind- Like I'm pumping the tiller to go....

I need advice as I'm new to this big boat and trying to not be too much like a Fresh deck swab!

Thanks in advance! :oops: :)
WindDancer
C-15 "Flying Goose"
C-22 " Dances With Wind"
selah

Won't hold a line huh?

Post by selah »

Could be that your rigging isn't balanced properly. That's one sign of a poorly tuned rig, not being able to hold a course. Also, keep in mind, any shifts in weight which may lean the boat to one side or the other will effect the steerage, kinda like steering a motorcycle without ever turning the handlebars.
phroxis

Tuning the rigging

Post by phroxis »

How do you tune the rigging on a C-22 so that it's properly balanced?
selah

Tuning

Post by selah »

Go to the Chrysler Sailing Association site, and then click on manuals, then click on the Chrysler 22 manual link, then go down and click on the part for tuning the Chrysler 22.

This should take you to the main site....

http://www.chryslersailing.com
Michael O'Brien

Post by Michael O'Brien »

Sorry to hear of the problem. I understand that C-22s are designed to sail balanced in 10-12mph wind with the main and a headsail, which ours does. I don't think it will do this with just one sail. Also, have you checked whether there is slack in the rudder linkage to the tiller handle? Additionally, the angle of the swing keel (if you have one) can affect it. The manual calls for full 60 degrees on windward reaches, and lesser when reaching and running. They suggest lowering all the way and cranking up about 5 turns, then adjusting from there to have the best balance. Other general tips are to keep weight to windward in all but light breezes, and sail only to about 25 degrees of heel. Otherwise it is suggested to flatten sails, slack sheets, reef or otherwise shorten sail for best performance. Good luck - I'm sure you'll enjoy the boat.