Masthead Sheaves CBC26

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
jstplan

Masthead Sheaves CBC26

Post by jstplan »

S/V Folly is parked in the yard until the water softens next spring. First on the long list of projects for this winter is the replacemet of the masthead sheaves, after 30 yrs of use they are showing more wear than I am comfortable with.

Has anyone tackled this project and found a source of matching sheaves?
I certainly could use a source name and part #.

Thanks Mike
Trey

Masthead Sheaves

Post by Trey »

On our other sailboat (Oday 28), I removed our masthead when we found more than one was frozen. I pulled it apart and measured the sheaves. I found some replacements by matching all the dimensions and material to offerings available from Shaefermarine.com (click Hardware, then Miscellaneous to find "Sheaves"). Didn't find one there. So, I went to RigRite.com.

Rigrite is still recovering from an office fire, so best way to contact them is by fax. Send them your dimensions and material requirement, and they may be able to set you up. I found their offerings to be a little expensive, so I tried a last ditch effort to repair what I had at a local machine shop. This will probably only work on metal sheaves, not Delrin.

My sheaves had worn out the bushings and gotten "wobbly" which lead to their freezing up. The shop found oillite bushings (very cheap as a part) that were the same ID as the pin holding the sheaves to the masthead, but were of a larger OD. It was simply a matter of their drilling out the sheaves to that next larger size and then pressing the new bushings in.

For 4 sheaves and cleaning up and painting the masthead, they charged me $40.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
jstplan

Post by jstplan »

Hi Trey
I have located a machinist that "understands", I'll let you know the final outcome. We are chatting about oillite bearings or bronze sleeves pressed into the sheaves. I have surendered to his best judgement.
Mike
Trey

Encourage oillite bushings

Post by Trey »

According to my shop, these are bronze sleeves with some kind of oil/lubricant built in. Under friction, the metal will heat and the sleeve becomes almost self-lubricating...nevermind that the originally manufactured parts were oillite bushings.

Given that masthead sheaves don't typically run at any kind of high speed, oillite bushings are probably overkill. Still....

Tight lines.
offshore

---

Post by offshore »