Floatation replacement

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Michael O'Brien

Floatation replacement

Post by Michael O'Brien »

Does anyone have a brand name or source for replacing the floatation foam? My guess is that it is ureathane, and sprayed on. A previous owner removed a lot from the starboard transom area to install a boarding ladder, and boat the seems to list slightly to that side. There must be a more economical way than foam in a can. Thanks for your thoughts - Michael O.
selah

Post by selah »

I wouldn't think that the boat would list to one side due to a lack of flotation on a particular side, if anything it should list to the opposite side, as it would be slightly heavier, though I wouldn't think it would be enough weight difference to effect the ballast either way.

So far as replacing floatation, depending on how much room you have, you could buy foam blocks, or, if there isn't much room, you might have to go with that foam in a can. Nice thing about the foam in a can is how it fills into small areas and gaps.
edjeep

Foam Replacement

Post by edjeep »

My boats previous owner also removed a lot of foam in that area as well. Both sides seem to be able equal, so I have ignored that task for the time being.

IF I were going to decide to do something about that, I know that Tap Plastics carries a product I would look into. Here is a link

http://www.tapplastics.com/fiberglass/m ... _foam.html