Tuning

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
NoRush

Tuning

Post by NoRush »

Anybody know of a good source of information on proper rig tuning?

Thanks
Windwalker

Rig Tunning

Post by Windwalker »

rjbranch

tuning

Post by rjbranch »

Are you at a dock facility that gives you access to a fairly solid dock about 2 docks to each side? If so I can give you a very simple method that lets you do it all dockside if you are still interested.

bob branch
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Very good guide here in simple but complete terms:

http://www.sailingsource.com/neilpryde/ ... igtune.htm
NoRush

Post by NoRush »

Thanks for the information. I ended up with a copy of the video "Rig tuning" by Brian Toss. I achevied some of what I was hoping for in balance. My current issue I beleive is with the condition of the main and the rake of the mast. The C26 I have was abandoned at the marina at least five years ago, and I purchased it from the owner that saved it off the auction block. After looking at photos of other Chryslers, I am convinced that mine has been dismasted and modified for an aftermarket mast. A wooden block was installed on the cabin top, and a mast step mounted to the block. I think this mast may be a couple of inches shorter than the original. It appears to have a couple of degrees of forward rake, which I believe is causing my lee helm.
rjbranch

mast tune

Post by rjbranch »

You are correct. The further a mast is brought forward the less weather helm it will have and it will pass into lee helm. Correct mast rake for you sails is aft to the point you have 5 to 10 degrees of weather helm when going upwind in moderate, say 10 knots, air. Increasing mast rake does two things, it gives you weather helm, and it lets you point higher. Its not an all win senario because the further you rake it the slower you will also go when going upwind. Helm balance is the key. An adjustable aft stay on boats this size is as usefull in controling helm as giving more head stay tension. You can fine tune the balance with it. Off the wind, you would like the mast to move forther forward to decrease weather helm on a reach . So easing the aft stay adjuster does that.

bob branch