Sliding Hatch

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Zilbub

Sliding Hatch

Post by Zilbub »

I would like to install something for the sliding companion-way hatch to slide on and still have the teak slides holding on the hatch. The hatch slides on the cabin top and has started to wear the hatch and the area on the top where it slides. Is there any kind of "strip" or something else someone has installed to address this problem?
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I have same problem on my C26...am considering trying a thin phenolic strip laminated to the cabin top in that area...

maybe take a look at:

http://www.mcmaster.com/

search for "phenolic", and then choose "phenolic plywood" from the results.
Zilbub

Looks good

Post by Zilbub »

I checked out the site and the stuff looks pretty inexpensive so I ordered some. Thanks for the tip...
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

which thickness did you get ? I'm still waffling over that..I have a fair amount of slop between my rails and the cabin (enough that Katrina lifted one side of the hatch loose, lucky the other side held) so I'm thinking of going thick enough to take care of that..

good luck..
Zilbub

Post by Zilbub »

I ordered 2 of the 1/32" X 2" X 48". I plan to cut it in half, lengthwise and use some on the hatch itself as well as on the deck. I won't know for sure until I actually see the stuff but it was under $8 including shipping so I'm not out much if it's not what I'm looking for. I'll keep you posted if you want once I get the stuff. It's coming ground shipment.
Wag4513

Ultra-High Molecular Weight Polyethylene(UHMW)

Post by Wag4513 »

I have UHMW strips to use, weather resistant, low friction, and high impact resistance. I have it wide enough to go under the teak rails and be held by the screws that attach the rails. Also I have neoprene to go under it to provide a water seal, since I belive adheasives won't stick to this stuff.

Rectangular Bar 1/8" Thick, 1/2" Wide $0.56 per Ft. Sold in 5' lengths.

This also available at McMaster-Carr.

Jim
Jim Laurence
Chrysler C22
Dallas, Texas
Zilbub

Post by Zilbub »

I'll see how this other stuff works and should it not, I'll go back to McMaster. At any rate, I'll keep everyone posted.
Zilbub

This is GREAT!!!

Post by Zilbub »

I happened to go to Action Sailboat to in Andover, Kansas to pick up some supplies and mentioned my hatch problems. He sold me some thick, teflon tape that is used in the same application for a Catalina 22. I put in on the runners of the hatch and on the deck where the hatch slides and it works great! For any of you who are needing to do some hatch repair, this stuff is just what you need.
slidejob

Post by slidejob »

I fixed mine using 1/8" starboard. It works great!

Mike