Introduction and Question

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
bucfan

Introduction and Question

Post by bucfan »

Hello to everyone. My name is Ken, and I have owned a Chrysler C22 for almost three years now. My dad was a sailor growing up, and I picked up a few things along the way, but the last three season have been a great time of learning and re-learning for me. I have really enjoyed sailing the boat, and have made some good trips and had great weekends on it to this point. The boat is in good condition for the 1976 model that she is, and I am glad to have found this board to talk other owners of Chrylser sailing boats.
As much enjoyment as our C22 has given us, she has also given us projects. They never seem to end, and they seem to be half the fun. I am currently replacing much of the running rigging, refinishing my tiller and other wood (thank goodness there isnt much), working on a cockpit table design, hatch screens and looking to make a repair to the tiller/rudder assembly.
That brings me to my question. The collar on the upper portion of the tiller rudder assembly has developed a crack! This is leading to some slippage in the tiller rudder connection. Any ideas as to how to either repair this piece of the assembly or where I might find a replacement (I know that may be a longshot.) Thanks in advance.
squint

Post by squint »

I still have the one in my boat... be glad to send it to you I when unwrap it in the spring. My boats been converted to a stern-mount rudder, so I don't need it.
dybis

Stern mount rudder..

Post by dybis »

Hi,

How does the stern mount rudder perform? Is there big differences from the original rudder? What about the outboard, I guess it has to be mounted not in the midle? Do you have any pictures?

Haakon
bucfan

Post by bucfan »

Wow. Thanks. I think I will take you up on that offer. What can I send in return?

The stern mounted rudder is an interesting idea.
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Stern Mount Tiller??

Post by Bhacurly »

Hey Squint,
I hear most folks feel the original rudder is in the way most the time and a shin banger... I'd be interested also in seeing picts of your stern mount and how well you like it!

Billy
squint

Post by squint »

I really like having a stern mount, but I don't think anyone should necessarily take mine as a template. It was on the boat when I got it. I think it's a bit oversized... the boat turns on a dime but it's VERY heavy... plus it's not a kick-up rudder. I was thinking of getting a kickup stern mount from a Macgregor 22 and trying that.

I'll post some pics in the spring, the boat is under wraps. Somewhere in my cluttered pictures folder, I have an image another member sent of a kickup stern mounted rudder on a c22... I'll post that too.
Wag4513

Post by Wag4513 »

Here is a photo of my stern mounted rudder. It uses the original rudder blade and kicks up. The frame is welded from stainless steel and is quite heavy

Here is the cockpit side. The traveler is raised up above the tiller.

Hope this helps.

Jim
Jim Laurence
Chrysler C22
Dallas, Texas
squint

lucky day

Post by squint »

Hey bucfan/Ken

I was claeaning my garage this weekend and found the collar you are looking for. If you saw my garage, you'd understand that this is no small miracle... it looks like someone picked it up and shook it. Anyway, it's here by the computer, completely intact with setscrews & all.
bucfan

Post by bucfan »

:lol: Aren't all garages like that!

Thanks!!!