C22 flotation foam and water

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
mjt

C22 flotation foam and water

Post by mjt »

Hi all -

Here is a question that I have yet to see posted on this site. As you know, there is flotation foam encased in the fiberglass under the area that a sliding galley would normally slide as well as other areas inside the C-22. In most areas where there are holes (where I assume the foam had been originally injected) there are silver caps over the holes.

However in the space in my boat where the sliding galley would normally slide - the caps were missing. During storage this winter, water seeped into my boat and into the uncapped holes.

I'm wondering if the water that went into the holes is just resting on the foam and will eventually evaporate, or if water that has gone into the holes soaked into and through the foam and there is now moist foam in contact with the hull - which could lead to problems down the road.

I guess I'm wondering what type of foam they used - open versus closed cell foam.

If I do need to take steps to extract water from the flotation foam - is there a way of doing that without having to remove the majority of the foam?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Mike
dybis

Post by dybis »

I have had the same problem with water in this enclosed area. The previous owner made some small holes at the buttom of the box for draining.

I also miss the caps, however, the water has been comming from the rail track (or whatever it is called) that connects the hull with the deck. I have removed and replaced the missing screws, recaulked, and it became better. But still some leaking, but much less.
frezza

C22 flotation

Post by frezza »

My Chrysler 22 has flotation in it and it is a type of foam. I have had this boat since 1981 and in 1998 it sunk from rain water at the slip. I pumped all the water out and it was still quite heavy - I had to wait while on the trailer for a day before transporting it to finish drying out enough so it would not poke a hole in it from trailering. I took it home - let it dry out and
I am sailing today with no structural damage - It scared me though because if those boards get rotted - you have big problems - I was surprised that my boat only sank up to 1 foot lower than the deck, it did not go any deeper and it was full to the brim.