Spreader

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
mariner

Spreader

Post by mariner »

I finally decided what I was doing with the spreaders in my mast re wiring project. The PO had installed some truck lights as spreader lights, they look like hell, drew down the battery like crazy and to top it off I never really used them. (getting a combo deck and steaming light in LED) So Im going to get rid of them and replace the spreaders with new tube. So here is my question....has anyone ever sourced oem spreader caps? Or what did you use? Any tips are appreciated. :D
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Hey Mariner-

Somebody on here just did this. Can't remember who (my appologies!), but I did save the website.

http://www.dwyermast.com/items.asp?cat1 ... Airfoil%29

They look nice!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dallasbob »

My stuff is Kenyon. Try these guy's if Marks suggestion doesn't work out. Really nice folks to work with.

http://www.rigrite.com/spars/kenyon_spa ... l#spreader sections
Bob T . . .
1979 Chrysler 26 "Indecision"
Dallas, Texas / I-45 / Galveston Bay
kalamazoogal

spreader bar repair

Post by kalamazoogal »

When I fixed our spreader last spring I found that the mast was collapsing
due to not being supported internally. I ended up having the local metal
fab shop build me a 3/16" thick stainless steel "wrap" with spar mounts that protrude outward and while I was at it I made the spreader bars removable for easier stowage during trailering. To counter the inward collapse problem I over drilled the hole in the mast a then put an internal collar to prevent any possibility of collapse. The spreader spars are held in place
with detent pins that make them removable when trailering. I'll send you pics of the warp assembly if you provide an email address.
KalamazooGal 1977 C-26
mariner

Post by mariner »

Thanks for the heads up guys. I made a measured drawing of what I needed and sent it out to 5 different mast/spar companies. One responded that they did not have what I needed, one basically said don't bother us...what we have for sale is on our web site go look there we don't want to talk to you, and oh by the way we wont publish our email because we dont want to make it easy for you to contact us! Dwyer Aluminum Mast not only responded immediately, they asked a few questions gave pricing up front and made a few suggestions. They did not ask for payment until the spreaders were made and ready to be shipped, and the shipped immediately. The parts arrived yesterday and are perfect. Hats off to Jay at Dywer! :D
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Just ordered my stuff from there yeasterday, Mariner. Just as easy as you please.

What are you using on the cable end of your speader?
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
mariner

Post by mariner »

Mark, I'm going to re install the original end caps (as the original ones have to be put on before the cable has its end fittings swaged on and Im not messing with it now - when and if i replace the standing rigging I will do something different then) and then cover them with the white spreader end caps you can buy on line (if they fit)

1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

mariner wrote:Thanks for the heads up guys. I made a measured drawing of what I needed and sent it out to 5 different mast/spar companies. One responded that they did not have what I needed, one basically said don't bother us...what we have for sale is on our web site go look there we don't want to talk to you, and oh by the way we wont publish our email because we dont want to make it easy for you to contact us! Dwyer Aluminum Mast not only responded immediately, they asked a few questions gave pricing up front and made a few suggestions. They did not ask for payment until the spreaders were made and ready to be shipped, and the shipped immediately. The parts arrived yesterday and are perfect. Hats off to Jay at Dywer! :D
Wow, the other guys lost out big and did not even know it. You'd think in todays economy sales would be a good thing you would want as a business. I don't need spreaders but if I did these folks would have my business just because of the backing of my preferred advisers here on the forum.

Thanks for the recommendation to the good company.

:idea:
You know it would be cool to have a section here on the forum like Angie's List. It's kind of like Craig's List but for referrals to good business'.

Now this might smack of promoting a business but I'd like to know vendors who do a good job for other members here on the forum.

Thanks
Alan
Last edited by Alanhod on Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
mariner

Post by mariner »

Alan, I was "blown" away at some of the responses that I got, I guess some companies can be selective about their clientele and if your not ordering a new 50 foot mast and rigging.... well you know. Any way I'm please at what I received.

Tony
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I had good luck with Dwyer and will look no place else. My situation was I needed a mast base for the Newport and I measured and was not sure on the extrusion it was 1 of 2 so when I called they asked what boat make and model they searched and the mast extrusion came from them and helped very quick so I got the rudder pintles that I needed and some other parts I gave them the card # and I had the parts the next day 23 hours to be exact.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/