Tiller Question

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
bucfan

Tiller Question

Post by bucfan »

Has anyone on the board ever had a small amount of water come up through the tille postand into the cockpit while motoring?

This was odd for another reason, the boat seemed "heavy" in the water, so to speak. The tiller had a bit of resistance on it even at low speed (when docking), and the stern of the boat seemed to be sitting rahter low in the water. It seemed almost as if we were dragging something underwater.

Some facts,
There was no water intrusion into the cabin at all. tiller/rudder through hull was/is fine.

More water seemed to come up when in the act of turning the boat while under power.

Rasied rudder at the dock, and there where no obvious problems or anything tangled on the rudder.

while docking I moved the rudder back and forth several times, and the once docked/while docking, the stern seemed to be out of the water at it s normal level.

Has this ever happened to anyone else on the board? If some thing has tangled on our keel, is there anyway to know without diving into this nasty lake water with a mask and snorkle??

Any info would be appreciated, thanks Ken
dybis

Post by dybis »

The same happens when I am motoring at high power. When you reach the hull speed, the bow of the boat will be raised and the aft will be lowered. This is normal.

I get some of the water into the cabin as well, but I am not worried about this, I know where it is leaking.

If I am sailing fast, quite fast, I get the same problem.
bucfan

Post by bucfan »

Thanks, I guess it was just odd because it had never happened before on our boat (although I normally motor a bit on the slow side). I am happy to know that this is "normal"
devindiedrich

Post by devindiedrich »

I had the same problem. Water was comming up through the tiller post either while sailing fast or motoring fast. Last year I replaced the lines used to raise and lower the rudder and the clam cleat that was on my tiller that holds the rudder lines in place. That seems to have fixed the problem. Both the old lines and the clam cleat were worn. I am guessing they were worn enough to allow the lines to slip in the cleat and cause the rudder to kickup a little while moving creating a path for the water to come up.
bucfan

Post by bucfan »

Interesting that you mentioned that. My lines are getting a bit worn and the cleat is also a bit "used." I'll look into replacing those this year when I haul the boat out. Thanks