Quick!!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Papax3

Quick!!

Post by Papax3 »

Hey!
I'm about to buy a mainsail from "Sail Warehouse" for my Chrysler 22.
My Mast/ boom, are original to the boat. I think my old (original) sail dimensions are close, but not quite exact. The original sail is like toilet paper after 37 years. Jib was already replaced with new-ish Dacron.
New Sail Info:
Luff=23'
Leech=24'
Foot=7.50'

Standard OEM sail, 5 wt Dacron, with one reef, standard Battens, 3/8th" slugs, 3/8th" ropes. Cost with shipping to Arkansas = $497.25.

Anyone see a reason this purchase would be a mistake?
Finally... I'm close to getting it wet. :D
Thanx!
Bill
We're just about finished with refurbishing our Chrysler 22, she's slipped, and ready for fun!

Lake Quachita, HotSprings Arkansas
Bill Williams
KeithR

Post by KeithR »

That sail is slightly smaller than the OEM, but will work. A new OEM from sailrite sails is $750 for the same basic configuration.

http://www.sailritesails.com/KitCost.as ... =0&ID=6748
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

First off... Welcome aboard shipmate, glad you found us.

Now for your question.

The dimensions you've posted are very close to the dimensions Super Sailmakers quoted me a new main back in 2009. The cost back then was $760 with 2 reef points in the sail.

I would want at least 1 reef point but I would not buy new custom Main unless I had 2 reef points. Some would say 3 reef points but I think I've only reefed my OEM sail all of maybe 2 times and the first time was on dry land to figure out how to do it.

Your price sounds excellent.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I'd want a time line from them, a guaranteed date it will be done by or I can cancel at no penalty - over and over I see that being an issue for sailors who are custom ordering a sail at a great price. Nice sail, great price, still waiting on it and the season is half gone..
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Welcome aboard.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beady »

When you do get that sail be sure and update us on how it works out. I was thinking of replacing mine and I thought they had the best price.

Brian
Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie
Papax3

New Main

Post by Papax3 »

Yes...

I will let all of you know how everything goes with the new main sail. I will probably order it this week. I'm glad for the information about "asking for a time-line". I think that this place already has them in stock. They say they were designed around repeat sales, and want to keep their people moving as far as a steady stream of work goes...
that being said, I don't think of this as a "custom sail", but a sail from a company that focuses on boats that were mass-produced.... hence repeat... uhm...."sails"....er....."sales". a... HA!

Pass me a beer, would ya?
Bill
We're just about finished with refurbishing our Chrysler 22, she's slipped, and ready for fun!

Lake Quachita, HotSprings Arkansas
Bill Williams
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Good price on the sail. like EE said, Ask them how long it's going to take. I waited 6 months for kelly Hanson sails to get mine to me, then had to cancel the order. They said they would credit my visa. I ended up lodging a dispute through visa to get my money back. Make sure you pay with a c/c so you have some recourse if needed. :wink:

Not to knock kelly Hanson sails, but they sure mistreated me. Lots of neg feedback on ebay for them as well.
1977 Chrysler 22
Ground to windward is dearly bought, but easly spent.
mikepaddle

One More Suggestion...

Post by mikepaddle »

If you haven't already placed your order I would suggest that you contact Aris Tsamis at Mariner Sails in Dallas. His loft has been open for over 35 years and has an excellent reputation for both construction and repair of sails. His prices are fair and he builds a very high quality product for the dollar. All of the Mariner built sails have extra reinforcement and stitching in the high stress & wear areas. The store phone number is 972/241-1498 and his email address is aris@mariner-sails.com.

Although located in Dallas, he services sails from several surrounding states.
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Main

Post by Alanhod »

Papax3 wrote:a company that focuses on boats that were mass-produced.... hence repeat... uhm...."sails"....er....."sales". a... HA!

Pass me a beer, would ya?
Bill
I love it, I consider myself a phundant too! :lol: Besides it would have been hard to pass up a sail like that one anyway. :wink:

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
John K

Post by John K »

Let us know how it goes Bill. I am thinking of prdering a new main from Sail Warehouse as well.
1977 C22: Dog House
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Just got my new main up!

I'll post picts in another thread...

I spent a bit more than the price from Sail Warehouse,,, but after talking with the rigger it is a sail that will meet my sailing style, more on that also in the other post...

But the jist of it was it isn't an off the shelf sail. It is special cut, with reinforced everything where needed. I figured sails are the powerhouse of the sailboat, and you get what you pay for... sad but true. If that's what the budget and first mate say than that's one thing... but after so much time, money, and work put into your boat, I'd recommend getting the best sails you can if going new! It's not the place to shave $$$ and they're a long term purchase, I don't plan on getting another main for my C-22 so it's not like other items that can be redone or improved later.

Again, I did spend more than I initially was looking at when I started shopping around, but not that much more and man I love putting up that new main and look forward to getting out in some hefty air! :lol:

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Billy