1975 Musketeer Catamaran

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Jeff Ayres

1975 Musketeer Catamaran

Post by Jeff Ayres »

Hello and salutations from Wisconsin.
I recently acquired a Chrysler Musketeer and I'm wondering if anyone has an easy method for rigging the mast? Years ago I had a similar cat and it always took two guys and a small dog to pull/push the mast into position. Could a hand winch/crank possibly make this a one-man operation? It was masting this "flyer" and the trouble to do it that made me sell my first boat. It was just too much for the wife and I to upright the mast. I welcome any and all suggestions as I've been refurbishing this boat and it's nearing completion and time to hit the water with it.
Thanks in advance for any assistance you might provide.
Happy sailing to you all.
Regards,
Jeff
Jayers

Re: 1975 Musketeer Catamaran

Post by Jayers »

If you step the mast with the boat on the trailer, you can rig up what would look like a boom vang, with a cleat to either the winch post if you have one, or the mast crutch and to the forestay.. When you lift it up, then cleat if off, then attach the forestay. Also, go to http://chryslersailing.lizards.net/ and look under "How to's" for Raising the Mast on a Mutineer.

Might I also ask if your side stays are too tight? There should be some tension, but I don't think so much that you can easily raise that mast on that Cat. I would loosen them some and see what happens.

John
Pround new owner of a 1982 Mutineer (Starwind)
http://Panzergames.info
Jeff Ayres wrote:Hello and salutations from Wisconsin.
I recently acquired a Chrysler Musketeer and I'm wondering if anyone has an easy method for rigging the mast? Years ago I had a similar cat and it always took two guys and a small dog to pull/push the mast into position. Could a hand winch/crank possibly make this a one-man operation? It was masting this "flyer" and the trouble to do it that made me sell my first boat. It was just too much for the wife and I to upright the mast. I welcome any and all suggestions as I've been refurbishing this boat and it's nearing completion and time to hit the water with it.
Thanks in advance for any assistance you might provide.
Happy sailing to you all.
Regards,
Jeff
John
Proud new owner of a 1982 Mutineer (Starwind)
My boardgaming forum
Jeff Ayres

Rigging Thank you

Post by Jeff Ayres »

Hey John,
Thanks for the reply and assistance. It's greatly appreciated. We've been sailing since Memorial Day weekend and loving every minute we can spend on the boat. We've been "catting" as the boat came without a jib sail. It's been a challenge as the boat tries to flounder and roll backwards without the jib. If anyone has a CHEAP used jib for this boat, I'd love to get it back to original shape. I paid a $100.00 for the boat with the trailer and currently have about $500.00 into it through the refurbishing process.
I'm also on a very "fixed" budget so $ is in very short supply.
Take care John and enjoy fair winds at your back.
Kind regards,
Jeff
Jayers

Jibs,

Post by Jayers »

Hey, there's nothing I like better than sailers on a budget! I have seen several people selling sails for chryslers. Do you have any of the info for the boat, manual maybe? That would tell the surface area of the jib and we can tell the luff from the forestay. By looking at pictures we can guess the foot and from there get the leach probably easily. Then, if you had a sail or canvas duty sewing machine you could order a Sail Kit. But haunt the classifieds, post to the Mutineers Yahoo Group, call local sail shops and also check ebay, like for instance:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harkin-J ... dZViewItem

Or this, though it is a main:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sailboat ... dZViewItem

But you need to estimate the size, which shouldn't be too hard.
John
Proud new owner of a 1982 Mutineer (Starwind)
My boardgaming forum