Cushion Replacement

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
bearley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cushion Replacement

Post by bearley »

Hi All,

Did the original settee cushions in the C26 have a thin plywood base? Mine do but I can't tell if it was original or added when the PO recovered them.

Thanks,
Bob
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

My 26 does not 1980 hatches in setee in salon have plywood cover.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dallasbob »

Bob T . . .
1979 Chrysler 26 "Indecision"
Dallas, Texas / I-45 / Galveston Bay
monty

Post by monty »

no plywood on mine, they are original, I believe.
Messing About
78 C26D (I added the 'D' cause it's got the Volvo diesel!) #490
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

No plywood on mine, not 100% sure they are OEM. I'm thinking they are mid 1980 colors instead of 1970's colors so I have my doughts as to there origins.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dallasbob »

I don't think a manufacturer would go the plywood route. I think they would want a higher quality look for prospective buyers flipping the cushions. I'm glad mine came from the PO that way because I had never seen it and it showed me a way to escape having new cushions done professionally. Something I can afford and cheaply. Custom stuff is way too expensive for me.
Bob T . . .
1979 Chrysler 26 "Indecision"
Dallas, Texas / I-45 / Galveston Bay
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Bob T-

Please post a picture when you get a chance! Cheap and easy, that was my nickname in high school....

Thanks!

Mark
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Cheap and easy... no offence, but it may not fit now that you are older. I did a little shopping around to get a ballpark figure on the cost of building a free standing lift system likes yours, again very nice by the way. I don't recall if you did, but I chose to go with treated lumber and S.S. hardware where I could... it maybe my own doing but my ballpark is hovering around $1000. :shock:

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

OK, I admit, I'm not so cheap anymore....

Tell you what, I'll re-price mine out next time I go to the lumberyard, but I don't think I have much over $300 into mine. (Come-alongs and straps NOT included.) Granted, mine is smaller by a section than what I would make one for a C-26, but.... Also, I know my lumber was on sale, but that shouldn't make that much difference

I used zinc coated hardware. Let you know what I find.
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

Just redid my OEM cushions for the C-26.. had it done professionally with sunbrella and memory foam in the v-berth...2G's.... figure it is was needed, would take me forever to sew ( I don't know how but have a machine) , a once in a lifetime project, would enhance the resale value ( something has got to help!) and I would enjoy each time I am onthe boat....

THe OEM salon settee seat BACKS were backed in plywood that was then screwed to alum angle brackets to the inner hull liner...
BTW: I thought about changing the configuration a bit and making thisngs more comfortable or more flexible seating or more modern... but that became a big project in and of itself and I realizzed I was just delaying getting it done...so now it is done...

I still ahve to paint hte interior white ( is still OEM "almond" ( I know I should have painted FIRST and then put in the cushions...)
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
blu by you

cshions

Post by blu by you »

i just started recovering mine they have fabric on one side and vynil on the other and they are original, i am using the plywood method it is MUCH easier and a lot cheaper
im a new chrysler c 22 owner (bought it the end of may )i will be sailing out of port ritchie fl
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

The OEM cushions did have durable vynil on the bottom, I did the same with sunbrella on top... if you go the plywood method -- be sure and use stainless steel or alum staples!
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
Papax3

duh!

Post by Papax3 »

You guys are brilliant!!!

You just minimized the pain of my next big project....!!!!

redoing my cushions as well!!! Now that I'm thinking about it,
the plywood/foam/fabric/staple-gun method seems exceedingly simple.
Why didn't I think of that?? I'll use a bigger foam pad and compress it alot, I think. Gotta make it comfy.

Thanx!
Bill
We're just about finished with refurbishing our Chrysler 22, she's slipped, and ready for fun!

Lake Quachita, HotSprings Arkansas
Bill Williams