LS16 front stay parts help needed

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
jhughe90

LS16 front stay parts help needed

Post by jhughe90 »

Hello all, summer project is to make my old '68 seaworthy again after sitting out at the ex-in-laws for 3 years (again).

On its last trip the stay lines came loose and dragged on the highway for awhile. One side just needs a new shroud adjuster, easy enough. But the front stay was also ground down and I can't recall exactly what all was on the other end of the turnbuckle screw, how long, etc.. Any help identifying part names and sizes I can use to buy replacements is appreciated!

Jeff Hughes
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Hi Jeff!
Welcome aboard!

Check our main page!
There is a documentation drop down list.
Select Chrysler, then select lone star, then Lone star 16.
You will see a link to the manual with B/W photos and parts descriptions!

http://www.chryslersailors.com

Hope that helps!!

Scott
jhughe90

Post by jhughe90 »

Hi Steve,

I did check that out, unfortunately all the description says is "Adjuster shroud or stay". There's all kinds of them available under that description at West Marine and other online parts stores.

If I remember correctly, the front line had a shroud adjuster similar to the sides, but I'm not sure what hardware connected the adjuster to the turnbuckle, as that is what got ground down to a small stump in the picture.

Jeff
Jeff Hughes
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

OK, if no one else replies with an LS 16,
I can take photos of my C22 forstay so you have an idea of at least one method of connection!

I'll be working on her tonight anyway so I can get the shots easily!

Scott
mikepaddle

LS-16

Post by mikepaddle »

Judging from your photo it looks as if someone modified the standard rigging to turnbuckles. The turnbuckles were not standard for either the 13 or 16. My LS-16 rigging uses the same 3/16" seven-hole adjusters for both the shrouds and the forestay. Let me know if you need photos.
jhughe90

Re: LS-16

Post by jhughe90 »

mikepaddle wrote:Judging from your photo it looks as if someone modified the standard rigging to turnbuckles. The turnbuckles were not standard for either the 13 or 16. My LS-16 rigging uses the same 3/16" seven-hole adjusters for both the shrouds and the forestay. Let me know if you need photos.
Mike, yeah I'm pretty sure it was a 7 hole adjuster on the forestay just like the sides, just not sure what part I would order to connect with the existing turnbuckle.

Jeff
Jeff Hughes
jhughe90

Post by jhughe90 »

P.S. Yes if anyone could post pictures that might help that would be appreciated!
Jeff Hughes
jhughe90

Post by jhughe90 »

Still trying to figure out what part I need to order. I took the turnbuckle screw out, which I believe just had a toggle attached to it? Having both an adjustable turnbuckle and a shroud adjuster wouldn't make a lot of sense?

It is either a 10-32 or a 1/4-28 thread size. With a pin hole size of 3/16 and a 2.5" length it's likely then a 10-32? I believe this would be the appropriate part:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=10203

Either 171613 or 171621, wire size won't matter since I just want the screw replaced not the entire turnbuckle. Since these parts list a pin hole size I assume the toggle is included?

Thanks again for any help or input!
Jeff Hughes
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

You can just buy the toggle end if that is what you need, both LH and RH threads are available.
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... &id=210088
this one is a #10-32.
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never