Hello new owner joining the board :)

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Gus

Hello new owner joining the board :)

Post by Gus »

Hello! I'm Gus, I recently became the proud owner of a Chryler 22 Model 333. I'm in the process of re-sealing all the hardware on deck and the rubrail/toerail.
So far I'm impress with the quality of the boat (3000 pounds, WOW).

I was looking at CBC22 pictures, and all of them have the winches, why mine does not? There's no evidence on deck (holes, etc) of the winches in case the DPO decided to remove them.

Does the foam flotation expands inside the lockers? Mine came with the silver caps in the starboard lockers (I guess they poured the foam thru them holes) and I can see a deformation on the top of the locker, is that normal? The boat leaked BAD thru the rub/rail, companionway rails and the hole in wich you run the cable for the anchor light.

Mine came with no electric panel, but all the wiring is there, so the next step will be installing a West Marine panel I got for my old boat and never got around installing it.

Well, thanks in advance for any advice :)
slane1124

Post by slane1124 »

Gus, where are you sailing out of? I, to, am a new owner of a C22, and have never owned a sailboat before. Mine is also missing the panel, but had some "owner applied" light switches. I had wondered what those silver caps were for! Guess I know now. I am having difficulty raising my mast. I have read all instructions, and have still had difficulty. One version speaks of a gin pole method, using a small pin to attach the boom and the mast and then wenching the boom towards the front of the boat. I, however, did not get the small pin to attach the two. So, am trying different options. Let me know how you do it, or if you have run into some of the same issues.
Thanks,
Robbie
Atlanta, GA
Gus

Post by Gus »

Rob: I'm going to be hitting the NC coast, and I live close by to a lake. I have not raised the mast yet, I did it a couple of times before, and the gin pole method I think is the safest one. I dont have the pin, but I read somewhere that a skipper used a big socket tube and left it there. You'll need babystays so the mast wont move left or right (that's a nice way to mess the mast or people around you.)
This will be my first 'sailing' sailboat, I worked for 2 years in another one and I decided to sell before finish it, so I know a little here and there, but just in theory :)

Gus
Gus

Post by Gus »

Rob: me again. There are different methods to raise the mast. Look online and in sailing boards, don't go around re-inventing the wheel. I'm thinking in installing the one that you made a frame with two pieces of wood and then connect the jib cable line to one end, and the other end the blocks, so I wont need babystays.

I just got done installing the starboard side rubrail, what PITA, 5200 is wonderfull stuff, but it will made a mess really quickly.
bucfan

Post by bucfan »

Hello,

We are in our tird season of sailing our C22, and I use the boom as a ginpole mast raising technique right out of the Chrysler manual. You can find it online.

My wife and I raise the mast on our own, and we have a pretty easy time of it. Although the mast can be raised without the side or "baby" stays, we always use them because of the added stability (once it gets part way up the actual satys will keep it from falling or straying too far to one side or the other). I am a pretty big and strong(or was once :lol:) guy, but with the block and tackle from the mainsheet in place, my wife usually hauls up the mast with the block and tackle (the easy part imo) while I lift and steady it (walk it up so to speak) from the stern.

One thing to keep in mind. No matter when you choose to raise the mast on the trailer at the ramp, it will invariably be the hottest, sunniest, most humid and most windless day of the year to that point!! :lol:

As far as lowering the mast, it is fairly easy to control from the bow when using the gin pole method. We just make sure no one is under it just in case . . .

Don't try to reinvent the wheel as others have said. Just use the instructions from the manual, and have fun!!
slane1124

Post by slane1124 »

I do appreciate the help. I have the stays you speak of, and I have downloaded all owner's manuals. I'm clear that the stays attach to the toe rail, but what does the single eyelet attach to? Not real clear in the drawings or instructions. Also, am replacing all the line on the rigging. There are three pulleys at the top of the mast. I guess one for main, one for jib and one for spinnaker?
Robbie
'76 Chrysler 22
"Sea-Shell-E"
sail # 879
www.ndipolygraphservices.com
Gus

Post by Gus »

bucfan wrote:Hello,

We are in our tird season of sailing our C22, and I use the boom as a ginpole mast raising technique right out of the Chrysler manual. You can find it online.

My wife and I raise the mast on our own, and we have a pretty easy time of it. Although the mast can be raised without the side or "baby" stays, we always use them because of the added stability (once it gets part way up the actual satys will keep it from falling or straying too far to one side or the other). I am a pretty big and strong(or was once :lol:) guy, but with the block and tackle from the mainsheet in place, my wife usually hauls up the mast with the block and tackle (the easy part imo) while I lift and steady it (walk it up so to speak) from the stern.

One thing to keep in mind. No matter when you choose to raise the mast on the trailer at the ramp, it will invariably be the hottest, sunniest, most humid and most windless day of the year to that point!! :lol:

As far as lowering the mast, it is fairly easy to control from the bow when using the gin pole method. We just make sure no one is under it just in case . . .

Don't try to reinvent the wheel as others have said. Just use the instructions from the manual, and have fun!!
Hi, I tried to raised the mast of my VN23 before without babystays, and it was an ugly ugly deal, to raise it and to lower it. I was thinking in getting the A frame system (two pieces of wood and a couple of bolts) since I most likely be doing everything by myself.

I'm glad to say that I'm done re-sealing the starboard side, rubrail and lifelines bases are done. I'm moving to port side tomorrow, hoping to finish this weekend after drilling with my unit. All I have left is the bow rail and the cabin top and I'm done :)

Gus
Wag4513

Pin for Mast Raising Gin Pole

Post by Wag4513 »

I created the lines for the mast raising system set out in the manuel. The pin to connect the boom to the bottom of the mast is 5/8 x 3" and is available in trailer parts at Boater's World and probable at other places that carry trailer parts.
Jim Laurence
Chrysler C22
Dallas, Texas
slane1124

Post by slane1124 »

i saw where the stays attach to the toe rail, but what does it attach to at the other end?
Robbie
'76 Chrysler 22
"Sea-Shell-E"
sail # 879
www.ndipolygraphservices.com
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

2 lines attach to the eyelets on the bridles -

One is a line from the eyelet to the end of the gin pole (Boom)
The other is a line from the eyelet to the padeye that is about 6 feet up the mast.

The effect is that when the mast is laid down it is acting as a very long boom, and the gin pole (boom) acts like the mast, albeit a short one.
The lines from the eyelets to the boom end are the "stays" at the beginning of the pull, the ones from the eyelet to the point up the mast act as stays at about 45 degrees in the hoist, and once mast is up the regular rigging takes over.

The bridels/eyelets make sure that all the lines are meeting right at the mast step height where the hinging action is taking place.

It is easier than it looks.
Gus

Post by Gus »

I found the pin to raise the mast :) DPO left a box with parts in the boat. I also found the missing pad for the galley, the one with the plastic that goes in the rail.