Hello,new Chrysler 26 owner onboard

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
njerrell

Hello,new Chrysler 26 owner onboard

Post by njerrell »

Hello, Nathan here,just purchased a 1978 C-26 and have a question regarding the rudder assembly,it seems the rope used put the rudder in the down position has broken,the boat was purchased without a trailor and is in the water and i am curious if it can be replaced with the boat in water or will it have to be hauled out to repair, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Windwalker

Rudder replacement, C26

Post by Windwalker »

Hello Nathen, The only way with the boat in the watter is if you can hold your breath, or have scuba gear. A single bolt holds the rudder blade to the post and its can be removed in the water, but only if you are in the water. I also have to replace the rope on the rudder but will haul it to do it, even though I have the gear. The rudder on my boat floats, and will probably be a pain to get it back on the post once the rope is replaced. Should only take you 30 minutes with the boat out of the water, assuming you don't find five other things that need doing once it's out.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Same here. I think the blade would be too bouyant to drag back underwater and line back up. Mine is out of the water with the rudder off if you'd like closeup pics of the assembly.

Why do we use rope anyway ? Seems stainless cable lead thru a cam cleat on the tiller would sure last longer.

I've also thought about finding some way to "spring" the blade so it wants to stay down by default, and must be cleated to stay "up".

If you've ever had to mediate a fight between the blade and an outboard prop while traveling upstream in a winding narrow bayou you know what I mean.

BL