Weep Holes/Rub Rail/Toe Rail

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Weep Holes/Rub Rail/Toe Rail

Post by EmergencyExit »

Got new lexan in te deadlights, and now they don't leak but -

Need help with the weep holes on the rubber rub rail - where do those drain water from ? Do they help clear water from under where the toe rail meets the deck?

On my C26 a previous owner spread some sort of roofing-type sealant all along where the inside part of the toe rail goes over the deck causing water to sit there about 1/4 deep. In several places it is cracked and I see the seam between the metal and the deck. Wondering if I should be scraping all that off so water can get under the metal and out the weep holes in the rubber. Or should I be resealing it where I see cracks.

Thanks for any insight !

BL
hotdot

Post by hotdot »

I don't have an answer, but on my c-26 its the same way. The caulking looks factory done.
Also, What thickness of lexan did you use and did you reuse the original frames?
Thanks.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Thank you for the reply. Actually those holes aren't on the rubber but below it - I mistyped.

I used plain old lucite/plexi, the original panes were 3/8" so I kept the same thickness. I did reuse the frames, as well as the original inserts as they were pliable still. Was tempted to route/recess the cabin cutouts and flush fit the frames but that seemed like overkill.

My frames got warped up a bit from tugging them loose of the panes - they had SO much sealant gooped everywhere that they were stuck fast. Made it a challenge to get them back on the panes/inserts but it worked out okay.
Windwalker

Post by Windwalker »

Just a note guys, you don't have to replace the lexan to stop the leaks. I took apart the all the port lights and cleaned and rebuilt them with the same material, all original, and had no leaks with the six inches of rain from Alberto. The starboard side however…
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I had to replace the lexan to stop the UGLIES !!!<LOL>

They were dark tint, completely crazed and scratched !!
You couldn't see in or out at all.
Gus

Weeping holes

Post by Gus »

My 22 also have the holes in the rub rail. When I removed it, I saw the hole does not go thru all the layers in the rubrail, and I was thinking in drilling the holes so water can get out if it gets in the first canal of the rubrail. Another thing I did, I drill a little weeping hole in the toerail so rain water wont accumulate and damage anything, its working fine so far (this is easier to see in a picture than my sorry description)

Gus