New Man-o-War Owner

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
motosailor

New Man-o-War Owner

Post by motosailor »

Hi all,

I figure this is a good place to make an introduction? M'names John and I just bought a used and somewhat neglected C-15 yesterday in coastal Virginia. I live just outside of D.C. and will be restoring the boat over the winter. I haven't been able to scrape enough corrosion off the plate to find a year.

As of right now, I've given it a full runthrough (this isn't my first rodeo, I've owned a Sunfish, M-16, Hobie and an ill-fated Cal-22 in college) and have found some significant work to be done.
  • 1. Remove all waterlogged foam and replace with foam noodles and empty 2 liter bottles (idea c/o this board - thanks!)

2. Replace the wooden top of the centerboard trunk, and replace the plastic cover with varnished wood.

3. Remove stock drain device (a P/O fiberglass and gelcoated it's undersides. I suppose it was leaking.) and replace with a stainless unit. I suppose I'll have to sand the bottom down to the fitting and bash it out? Looked riveted though...?

4. Paint, redo the hull inspection ports, general stuff.
Sails are in immaculate condition, as are the planes.

Should be a good time, although I'm hoping that I can cartop the boat once I get it dried out properly. At this point, the only part I might want to replace would be my boom yolk, which snapped in half at some point, and is now replaced by a pretty fancy jerry rig.

I'll try to get pictures at some point.

Cheers,
JC
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome aboard John!
We look forward to some photos of your progress!
Take a lot before any work so you can feel good about yourself later! LOL!

A little expanding on the Cal 22 might be fun too!

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Welcome aboard !
motosailor

Post by motosailor »

69Shark wrote:A little expanding on the Cal 22 might be fun too!

Scott
haha unfortunately, that boat no longer exists to my knowledge. A hurricane took it away from our youthful hands and after working on it for a year we donated a mostly floating boat to a local charity.