Plywood walls?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
bearley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Plywood walls?

Post by bearley »

Hi All,

My C26 has what appears to be thin luan plywood along the cabin sidewall above the seat-backs going up to the toerail. Is there any reason to remove this to check behind it? What was it covered with from the factory? What have you guys done with it?....fabric re-cover, paint, formica?

Thanks,
Bob
blu by you

Post by blu by you »

i have a c22 no wood on the walls....po may have put it on yours i hope they didnt nail it on lol
im a new chrysler c 22 owner (bought it the end of may )i will be sailing out of port ritchie fl
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

The plywood does not sound "factory" to me. My C26 had pleated vinyl covering the hull/deck joints above the fiberglass insert.
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Like the others it sounds like a P.O. addition. If it will come off with out having to use a crowbar, checking behind it maybe a good idea... you never know. What you chose to replace it with, if in fact you take it down is up to you... checking with the first mate first however is a good first move. As a starting point I'll be painting the inside of my C26 project something more elaborate may come further down the road.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

My 1980 C-26 does not have plywood either it is like a berber carpet when I remove it I may use a resin and sand smooth and paint.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
thepartydog

Post by thepartydog »

Mine was fabric, how does the plywood look? Thinking aloud, you can use steam to bend thin luan. That might solve a issue on the big brother's big boat. Sister in law doesn't like the carpet used in the same area on brother's big boat. That and properly oiled it might look nice on "Ya Never Know".
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
bearley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Plywood walls?

Post by bearley »

It definitely is factory-installed. I am thinking that it is the backing for the vertically rolled vinyl that was the factory wall covering. I think the PO just pulled off the vinyl and never replaced it. Has anyone else replaced the rolled vinyl? I'm going to be installing new carpet on the floors, so I was thinking of gluing the same carpet there as well. Not a good idea? Thoughts?
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

S2 for one used carpeting on the side walls. You might look for interior photos of some of the S2 boats.
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
dcb4321

plywood walls

Post by dcb4321 »

I have a C26 in which I have removed 2/3 of the fabric covering the bulkheads. What I found was a foam backing that has pretty much disintegrated into power. The fabric comes off very easy and I remove any remaining adhesive and foam with a vacum cleaner. I plan on painting the bulkheads with a sealer called 123. It's a thankless job but will be better and safer when I am done because there won't be any of the powder floating in the air after it is gone.
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

Sounds typical of the headliner material used in cars. A thin fabric attached to a thin foam layer, which is spray glued to the fiberglass headliner in my Rover. I have a source for headliner fabric and the spray adhesive, though it's not hard to find online. Land Rover Disco's have a very wide headliner because of the huge rear windows.

Using headliner fabric might cut the dust down more than using carpet.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
dcb4321

Post by dcb4321 »

I've decided to paint the bulkheads and leave at that. I'm the only one who goes on the boat so I don't have to make it pretty for anyone else. The next project is the motor mount.
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SN691 »

Bearly

There was no plywood on the cabin side wall, just the fabric with foam backing. This is what I did.

When we did the inside of our boat we used wire brushs on the hull, then metal putte knife to scrape some more of the glue off. Then we mixed 1/2 cup of mr clean to a gallon of water and use sctube brushs and that got most of the glue off. We painted to hull but is was still rought, so then we ended up putting carpet on. the only place we did not put the carpet on was the under side of the stern berth.

http://s935.photobucket.com/home/LakeOr ... entuploads
Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~