Rear "berth"?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.

How do you use your rear berth?

Sleeping
No votes
Storage
100%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 4

Windwalker

Rear "berth"?

Post by Windwalker »

I am planning winter projects for my Chrysler 26. Nobody on my crew likes to sleep in the rear berth because of claustrophobia. The previous owner was going to put the galley on slides to side it back into the port side of the berth when not in use.

I would appreciate any suggestions, photos of what you have done, or opinions of what can be done.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

The sliding galley sounds like an idea I might look at.

I have seen a rear sleeping berth oriented across the beam with the sleeper's head on the starboard side, feet in the port behind the galley. Was set up for a single crew member, and there was storage behind it (towards the stern).

That way seemed like it would minimize the cave feel, leave room for storage, and make room for one.

I do like the sliding galley thought for room in the cabin.

I've removed the set of drawers across from the head door on mine. Didn 't lose much storage, sure is a lot more room and looks cleaner.
NoRush

Post by NoRush »

I found it amusing that the Chrysler literature boasts berths for six people on the 26. I have done this once, but two were kids and the adult sleeping aft called it submarine training.

I would love to see plans on the sliding galley, I occasionally sleep on the starboard side of the aft berth, but port has been an inconvenient storage area. What do you do with the sink and fresh water tank?
Windwalker

Sliding galley plans

Post by Windwalker »

If and when I design the sliding galley, (probably a sure bet, I can't resist a challenge) I will be happy to share the plans/photos will all who would like a copy.

In the mean time, I was hoping to get some ideas from those of you who already have undertaken some projects to make the rear “berth” more useable.

Currently my DC electrical center is just underneath the ladder. I mounted a piece of plywood from the top of the berth platform to just under the stair top, just wide enough to fit between the rails. On this board are my breaker panel, bilge pump switch, voltmeter, bilge pump cycle counter, low voltage alarm, Radio/CD player and 12V sockets. All this is backed by plastic covers to keep the wiring out of harms way. The ladder protects the breaker panel from accidental contact. This does not reduce access to the rear berth since the ladder blocks the access anyway.

I have also reworked the AC panel. A previous owner had put a steel breaker box with a two pole AC breaker mounted to the rear wall of the galley. This was a household type panel and breaker and needless to say was showing a lot of rust. I removed it with the galley. (I had to remove the galley, when I got the boat there was 2 feet of water in the cabin, from rain as the boat was in a backyard, and the plywood of the galley was delaminating, not to mention the mold.) I made a panel from G10 material and mounted a two pole breaker, polarity OK neon lamp, and neutral hot neon lamp. I painted the G10 material with some of that new plastic paint from Krylon. (Black)

The shore power socket was mounted on the port side of the external wall of the cockpit, just in front of the winch. The AC service wire feeds into the channel above the port side of the rear berth. I mounted my new panel in the back of the port storage cubby that was just above the galley, cutting a hole to mount the panel. This made the wire length from the shore power socket to the breaker about 6”. I then ran new marine grade wire to the first AC socket (which I changed to a GFI socket) that is mounted on the top of the back of the port seating, where the galley use to be. Running the AC service through this one GFI socket gives the entire AC in the boat ground fault protection.

Please share some of your projects.