C-22 Keel winch... HELP!!!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
rjbranch

C-22 Keel winch... HELP!!!

Post by rjbranch »

Ok, I'm not a genius first off, but I'm no mechanical dummy either. But I cannot figure out how to make the keel winch lower the keel. The boat is on the trailer and I cannot get it to let out any line. The boat has not been in water for about 8 years so I am guessing there is a corrosion issue. Could someone tell me how its supposed to work?

bob branch
donbohio

Keel Winch - Don't Panic!

Post by donbohio »

When you push the handle to let it out does the handle and the winch move? If not push a little harder. There is no switch to release so it is based on a clutch in the winch. I was too gentile thinking I might break it. It takes some preasure to release the clutch and lower the cable. Since the winch is exposed you should see the cable become relaxed when you move the handle.
Regards,

Don

donbohio
rjbranch

woa... too fast there

Post by rjbranch »

Ok, I'm still not clear. Does the handle turn in both directions? Which way lowers and which raises? Do you crank it down or does it free spool?

bob branch
slidejob

Post by slidejob »

Let me take a stab at this...The handle is turned in the clockwise direction to raise the keel, and in the counter clockwise direction to lower it. Naturally, it will be easier to lower than to raise the keel due to the weight. It will not freewheel if you release the handle--there is friction both ways, so you will make about 50 rotations to fully lower the keel.

Actually, the winch is rather cleverly designed.
rjbranch

winch.... and onward.

Post by rjbranch »

Ta-Dah!!!!! I finally get it! How many cranks does it take to raise the keel? Is the gear ratio the same going up and down? Also, do you have to lube anywhere for the clutch mechanism to work right (the entire winch frame looks like it is totally coated in rust, the gears and drum are not and the wire is new. If it works it will be a winter project to take off and clean up.

Thanks alot for describing how it works though. Now I know at least how to make it function.

I got new spreader bases from Dwyer aluminum mast company. I went to airfoil spreaders as they did not have a round mount that matched the original pattern and not having that I wanted a good sound mounting. I determined the length should be right around 28 inches and finally got an email that they are 27 3/4 inches so that's an easy replacement.

Things are getting exciting now. The roller furler (Schaeffer CF 500) is enroute and the sails are being cut this week. I am doing a 6.5 oz main with 2 4 ft deep reefs and a 15.5 oz 120% genoa. I know that sounds like a wierd size. It results from a sail development program I did with a Catalina 27 and Watts Sailmakers back in the late 70's. We were preping for a National Championship our fleet of 125 Catalina 27's would be hosting and could only have 5 fleet entries, the rest required to be loan boats. While we normally raced full rig (170% genoas, chutes, staysails) class the Nats were going to be main and genoas only. So we were looking for an edge. Everyone locally did 170, 150, 130 % genoas and working jib. Working jibs do not have full hoist luffs and Watts had found (and later North copied) that full hoist genoas gave more drive in heavy air and chop. It was a giant killer sail and made a wonderful cruising sail. It was heavy enough cloth so you could cruise with it without killing it like the lighter sails and with its full hoist luff gave nearly the boat speed of a 150% which of course now is the norm. And the one sail with a main with a couple of deep reefs lets you carry it up into the mid 30 knot range. I have used it on the Cat 27, a Merit 25, a Newick 24 trimaran, and an O'Day 28. Its been a wonderful sail on every boat I've had one on.

As to the roller furling part, I'm still a skeptic that even with a foam luff the sail will come out the right shape when reefed, ie flat with the draft forward. My sailmaker swears they do now. For me schools still out. I'll find out in the next month. Our fall winds have come early to the Great Lakes this year.

bob branch
Harsens Island, MI